What do drugs taste like?

Hopefully this is OK with the mods. Pretty simple question really. What do various types of drugs actually taste like? bitter? sweet? Does it depend on the filler?

Illicit drugs or prescribed every day drugs? Most of the pills I’ve ever taken are extremely bitter if they dissolve a bit on the back of my tongue before swallowing.

mainly illegal drugs.

Problem A: In comparison to what? I mean, if someone who has never had beef asks you “How does beef taste?”, how do you describe it?

Problem B: Sheer enormity of varieties of ingestion method, variations in form, etc. Marijuana alone could easily yield a 60-line review. Oaxacan, California sensimilla, Lebanese? Bong pipe with white wine, classic Bambu rolling-paper joint, steel pipe with resins from prior use, tray of brownies? Add that to Problem A.

Problem C: The “does not apply” drugs probably outnumber the applicable ones. Taste of LSD? Taste of something normally injected? Taste of cocaine? There’s no “there” there.

Generally, though —while there may be folks who say they actively like the taste of tobacco or of fine tequila or rum or scotch, damn few stoners are running around writing poems about the elusively tantalizing taste of peyote buttons or the smoke from a crack pipe.

Most of it tastes like ass.

It’s kind of a cliche of cop shows that the cops, finding white powder, will dip a fingertip into it and taste it. Is that what you’re referring to, Shalmanese?

My understanding is that they’re not tasting it so much as feeling it - cocaine is a topical anesthetic, and will numb your lip or gums. That’s how they know it’s cocaine and not baking soda.

Xanax has one of the most bitter tastes imaginable when you let it dissolve on your tongue. I had a prescription for it in case that becomes an issue.

MDMA is very bitter. And GHB is very salty, though that’s probably because it is a salt (in the form in which it is usually consumed - sodium or less commonly potassium).

My mum once bit through a fluoxetine (Prozac) capsule and found it repulsively bitter.

I think any sufficiently baroque organic compound (thus, most drugs) will taste bitter, but I am not a tasteologist.

<mod>

Taste is subjective.

Discussion about illegal drugs in any form is not.

Closed.

</mod>