Are there any positive aspects of being paid under the table?

I just started a part-time job, and at the end of the night, the guy paid me my hourly rate in cash. I was puzzled, since I’ve never been paid UTT before, he then said that I could choose to get a paycheck instead. I’m almost %100 sure that I will choose the paycheck option, but I’m still curious.

FTR, I have no intentions of defrauding the government or evading taxes. I’m pretty sure that’s illegal.

The job is a delivery job, with tips, mileage reimbursement, and a pittance of an hourly wage.

If I report nothing on my taxes at year end, it looks like I recieved no money from them, and I end up committing tax fraud. Can I just report everything at year end? Wouldn’t that screw me in the end (figuratively)? Maybe there’s a way that I can get paid UTT, then have an accountant work some magic and end up ahead.

Is the employer doing something illegal?

I’m almost positive that I’ll opt for the paycheck option, if not for the handy deductions alone, then for my peace of mind.

I suppose that a refined version of the OP would be “Can I use UTT pay to my advantage and still be legal, or is it just a Pandora’s box full of auditing?”

Small business that are cash intensive like paying under the table cash. An example is a hotdog cart, they receive all cash and pay the hotdog cook with cash. At the end of the year they show a slight profit and pay little taxes. The question of fraud or creative accounting is an entirely different issue.

Most business don’t like to pay with cash because they cannot write it off. I can’t see any other reason to pay cash unless it’s to hide a documented paper trail for uncle sam or they are unorganized.

Suuuuuuure. :wink:

Well even if you do file correctly it would be a shame if you “forgot” to include some of that cash. In fact the government might go broke :smiley:

Sweet!

Based on the law of averages, I have much more material.

The pizza joint I worked at, you got your paycheck of delivery fees, and you walked out the door every night with your cash tips. They claimed some of their tips on their taxes, but I don’t think they kept count of how much money they made with tips.

I can think of three major benefits to being paid Under The Counter:

1. You’re not paying tax on it. This means anywhere from 15-30% more money in your pocket.

2. It’s cash! So, no bank fees, transaction fees, or hassles involving someone in head office forgetting to put the pays through or computer errors that mean you don’t get paid on time

3. If you’re getting Social Welfare benefits, anything you earn is likely to affect the amount of your Social Welfare payments. Being paid cash means you’re not likely to declare this income to the Appropriate People, which in effect means you’re going to get a lot more money than you’re entitled to from Social Welfare. (Rather a lot of this goes on in Australia- it’s been jokingly said that ripping off Centrelink is Australia’s third National Sport after Rugby and Cricket).

Of course, getting paid cash isn’t illegal in and of itself, provided all the appropriate taxes are being paid- but not paying taxes and/or not declaring income for Social Welfare purposes IS illegal, as I’m sure you already know.

The employer may be doing something illegal. He could be paying you under the table for all sorts of reasons - to avoid compliance with various labor laws, to avoiding paying various employee-related expenses.

Here in Canada, the employer has to pay a share of the employee’s Social Insurance, UI, etc. If you get paid under the table, the employer is skipping that part of his payments.

No bank hassles. You don’t have to prove your identity, go to the bank, provide I.D., wait on-line, etc. etc. Cash doesn’t bounce.

Some employers who hire cash employees couldn’t afford them if they had to pay the government withholdings on the money.

If it were me I’d take the cash and keep quiet. I’d guess that your really losing money on this deal anyway. The wear and tear on your vehicle probably exceeds your reimbursement and if you want the write off on miles used for business then you’ll have to keep mileage records. Of course your probably not making enough to itemize anyway.
Have you considered that your auto insurance almost surely excludes this type of use, so if you’re involved in an accident, you won’t be covered.
You’d very probably be further ahead working a min. wage job w/ a paycheck and deductions taken out.

I’ve been taken off one of my medications, and I have a few hundred of the pills left, for which I have no use. If I know someone who takes this medication, and has a valid prescription for it, is it illegal for me to sell him my pills? What if I simply give them to him?

Crap. That should have been a new thread.

Same here. http://www.smartfast.com/enews/ea_paying_under_table.html

Receiving at least part of your pay in cash could allow you to hit the threshold where you can qualify for medicaid. I know of some people who also refuse pay raises for the same reason.

The primary benefit to both employer and employee to getting paid under the table is the same – the illegal avoidence of taxes. When an employee is paid UTT, there is typically no record of the transactions. Therefore, the employee’s W-2 does not record the cash income allowing him, if unscrupulous and stupid, to not declare that income and therefore not pay the associated tax. Similarly, the employer can avoid witholding income tax (which is a hassle), and both parties completly avoid paying the employee’s FICA (Social Security and Medicare), as well as any federal or state unemployment insurance contributions that are due. Since both employer and employee typically contribute to these pots, unrecorded cash transactions mean that they’re both illegally avoiding these payments.

Of course, not only are these all felonies, they also work, like everything unregulated thing ever done by management, to screw the employee. In the States, your Social Security benefit on retirement is calculated on a formula based primarily on how much you earned during your working years. Becasue there’s no record of the true labor the employee did or the true wage he was paid, that benefit will be lower than the employee really deserves. (Although given that over the years the defrauding employee as already deprived the public fisc of this and more in his failure to pay income taxes, I can’t really get too worked up about it.) The longer you work under the table, the larger this disparity is going to be when you retire.

More directly, since unemployment insurance is paid through a combination of employer subsidies and employee paycheck deductions, if the employee gets laid off, even in most states up to years later, he won’t get the unemployment compensation he’s deserved – your unemployment amount is based on your reported salary when you were working. In fact, if the employee gets laid off directly from the job paying him UTT, he might not be eligible for unemployment comp at all because as far as the state government is concerned, he hasn’t been working. State disability insurance may work in a similar fashion.

Finally, as Martini notes, another “benefit” of being paid under the table arises if you’re actually on Social Security, unemployment, Welfare, disability, or Medicare/caid at the time you do the work. Depending on your program, the government would typically reduce your standard benefit amount in a week in which you earned money elsewhere. In some disability programs, you may be ineligible to work at all and still maintain your benefits. Keeping your income secret from the government agencies enforcing these rules can mean your payment doesn’t change when it should. Of course, this works a fraud on the government, and you can bet your as that’s illegal – and not something they take lightly like sparking up. I’ve heard on the radio (no cite, sorry – take this as unsubstantiated rumor) that the Bush Administration has been particularly aggressive in finding and prosecuting Medicare and Social Security cheats as a way of limiting the cost of these programs.

So, in summary: yes, there are benefits, but the big ones are fraudulent, felonious, and detrimental to the employee long-term.

–Cliffy

This is, of course, illegal.

–Cliffy

Your employer not only might be paying under the table to avoid taxes, but he might be doing so to avoid paying insurance on you. It would suck pretty hard to get hurt then not get your medical bills paid for becuase he didn’t pay premiums on you.

Masterful work, Cliffy.

Yes, I know. I should have said that.

I’m surprised nobody has mentioned the main benefit of getting paid in cash: It allows you to get paid for illegal work.

Just as an extreme example, I had a FiL who lived in rural Lousiana and mostly earned a living painting houses. He always got paid in cash or barter. He didn’t trust gov’t. and was smug in the belief that he was getting away w/ something. When he died, in the early 80’s, his widow was left w/ nothing. Fortunately her rent was only $60.00 a month (believe it or not) and she had friends and family to help out. She got some food stamps and a little over $300.00 from SSI (not Soc. Sec.). She wound up in a crappy nursing home when she lost her eyesite and her worldly possesions were limited to a bed and what she could fit into a nightstand. So much for “beating the system”.