Why does alcohol cause hiccups?

What did the diaphram ever do to alcohol to diserve this? Now, the liver and alcohol are natural enemies. But why drag the poor diapham into the the fight?

How does this work?

An article by Cecil here suggests its just distention of the stomach caused by the fizzines of many alcoholic beverages.
Doesn’t really go in depth though.

Anecdotal evidence and speculation follows:

In the years that i’ve been drinking, i’ve been drunk on many occasions, and have witnessed others drunk even more frequently, and i’ve never noticed alcohol causing hiccups in myself or those around me.

I’ve always been under the impression that the actual incidence of alcohol causing hiccups is much less common than movies and cartoons would have us believe.

More anecdotes! (the plural of anecdotes IS data, right? :stuck_out_tongue: )

I’ve been drunk plenty of times, and have been around plenty of intoxicated people, and never noticed the alcohol-hiccup connection.

HowEVER, I have noticed a strong correlation between laughing and hiccups. At least in myself. Any time I laugh really strong for awhile, I start hiccuping. It’s gotten to the point where I have to stop myself from laughing because I know otherwise I’ll be in for a bout of hiccups.

On a related note, I’ve found the best way to rid oneself of hiccups is to take in a deep breath, as deep as you can. Then force the pressure of the air on your diaphragm. Hold for as long as you can without passing out, and exhale. Your hiccups should be gone. If not, repeat. Usually it only takes one or two tries and they’re gone with me.

If you held it until you passed out (or longer), you’d probably get it in one try.

But what a loss to the Dope!

I don’t think it’s alcohol that causes hiccups per se, just BEER. For the same reason that Coke and Sprite do - carbonation, my friend.

another anecdote:

neither alcohol or curries give me hiccups. But god forgive me if I have a hot curry and a few beers together - cant stop hiccuping for 15 minutes afterwards

Hiccups can occur from alcohol as we get older or later in life. As you get older, your ability to breakdown and metabolize enzymes becomes more complicated. By your mid 30s to 40s you can expect a beginning breakdown in life. I dont care who you are… You will get sick or get old because the body cannot completely sustain itself in its later years. This is why we have developed the concept of medicare and social security. Everyone will eventually need this backup.

Getting back to hiccups and alcohol…it is an indicator that the body that it cannot breakdown booze. It may be alcohol for some or lactose intoerance for others. Sometimes the organism can no longer produce certain enzymes…this is either a nitrient deficiency or just old age is gaining up.

Regardless, if you do figure out the deficiency… That is great. Your dr. prob didnt figure it out…but get ready because in your 40s… There is more great things to come.