Is there any type of space rock that's worth money?

Say a good size meteorite lands in my back yard, is it worth anything? Are there different types of space rock that are worth more than others? Do scientists look for certain types of metals/other solids from outspace?

No, I don’t have anything like that, I’ve just always wondered.

Yeah, the right ones can be fairly pricey.

Take a look at this small fragment. 36.2g for $1259.00

That’s just the first link from the first site I came across.

Meteorites that came from Mars are rare and valuable.

I didn’t mind paying for my copy of David Bowie’s Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

There are peole who make a living of collecting meteorites. Apparently it’s not that hard to find them when you know well what you’re looking for.

This based on a TV interview and report about such a guy.

The August issue of “Astronomy” was a special issue covering meteorites/“rocks from space.” I think the September issue is now out, so you may have missed a chance at this one, unless you can order a back issue.

It was a great source of info! Covered some pricing, including Mars and Moon meteorites. Had a profile of a big collector/dealer who may have been the person clairobscur was referring to.

thanks guys. I also need to get that Astronomy mag. Sounds interesting. Do you still have yours? Would you copy the article or something if so?

The whole issue is too full of stuff to merely copy.

If you would trust me wit an email with your address, I would be only too happy to mail it to you, no charge.

Warning, it make take two weeks to get to you. It has been well-read and bent in places Just let me know, though.

Make that, it MAY take…