How do I cook pigs feet?

I was given a packet of frozen pig feet and was wondering how to cook them.
They’re splt down the middle and look good.
Or should I even bother with them?

I can’t help you with cooking pig’s feet, but I wonder how many Dopers have pig’s feet at their grocery store? We do, and pig ears, and all kinds of parts.

We were going camping and I bought a package of pig ears, they were $.12/lb or something.

When we go to the lake, I grilled up all the rest of the meal and then grilled the pig’s ears. Then I just left them on a platter at the campsite when we left, hoping to confound the next bunch of campers. The make good doggy treats, too.

The only pig’s feet I’ve ever seen were pickled. I’d probably put one in a pot of beans like a ham hock if pressed to use a pig’s foot in a meal.

Pig’s feet is the only thing I have seen Alton Brown throw out in disgust. During Feasting On Asphalt he took two bites and declared that his hunger had disappeared. I believe the ones he tried were pickled.

::gags and runs for the toilet::

Pressure cook them. Debone and cure overnight in vinegar with sliced onions and fresh jalapeño peppers and some salt.

Get corn tostadas, smear with refried beans. Put generous serving of “meat” on top, cover with shredded lettuce, slice of avocado, shredded white cheese.

Now you’ve got tostadas de pata. Excuse me while I join Chefguy in his hurling pursuits.

I’ve never tried pigs trotters (for a broader set of results, try googling for this term, as well as just pigs feet), but I understand they are very good if cooked long and slow - the meat on them apparently comes out really moist, tender and tasty.

I don’t really understand the revulsion - I think It might be time for me try them - there’s a good pork butcher in my village - I think I might have to trot down there and see if I can walk out with pigs feet.

Pig’s feet are also good for making scrapple; either braise them for hours to soften and render the skin and cartilege, or pressure cook them, then spin them in your food processor with some of the cooking broth. Use the resulting puree to cook the cornmeal. If you want a real recipe for scrapple, let me know & I’ll provide my favorite.

You can also braise them, remove the bones, and fry them crisp to finish. Marvelous that way, too.

I always try to get one of the feet when I’m at a pig roast. They’re one of the best parts of the roast.

Mangetout: Do you have pigs feet?
Butcher: Yes sir
Mangetout: Well trot over here and weigh me out a pound of those sausages.

Meh. not as good as the frogs legs one.

Simmer them for several hours in tomato sauce and serve over pasta.

Are they pickled or smoked?

They’re neither. Just as the came off the oinker.
What I finally did was put them in a crockpot with about 6 cups of water and spices and some dried pinto beans. Crockpotted them on high for about 4 hours and then let them stew on “warm” overnight. Also left them on warm today and most of the meat has cooked off and the piggyness has cooked into the beans.
Gonna have them tonight with hot dogs. Healthy Eating! :slight_smile: