Are Snap-On tools as good as their reputation?

Every mechanic or auto dealer I’ve ever been to seems to use Snap-On tools. I’ve always assumed that they were the gold standard for quality in that business, but in another thread it was implied that you could buy better tools for less money.

So, what tool manufacturers (if any) are considered to make higher-quality tools than Snap-On?

I don’t own a set of them however I’ve been told that part of what you’re paying a premium for is service - if you run a mechanic’s shop you can’t afford to take time off during the day to go buy a new set of whatever, with Snap-On you call the guy and he drives it out to you.

Craftsman and Husky hand tools have always been good for me but I’m not a mechanic. I’ve never had one break, the quality seems very good and everything has a no-hassle lifetime warranty (heck, Home Depot will honor the Craftsman warranty and replace with Husky brand).

Since you’re looking for informed opinions, let’s move this to IMHO.

samclem

“Pops” Mercotan worked for Snap-On for a time. And he worked with lots of professional mechanics. As a result, he had an opinion.

Basically they are superior if/when you’re using them day in and day out for your livelihood. They fail less often, they’re better engineered ergonomically so there’s fewer skinned knuckles, carpal tunnel syndrome, and general wear and tear, and the service is generally better on them too (or was when he worked for them).

If you’re a weekend handyman, then they’re probably not worth the extra cost to you. As Pops used to say to professional mechanics: “Craftsman is a fine tool. Lots of farmers use Craftsman”. This line was especially useful in getting the mechanic to buy Snap-On.

All the above is IMHO of course. Snap-On laid the foundation for Stately Mercotan Manor and helped put me thru med school, so it’s possible I could be biased.

Snap-On has a larger variety of specialty tools and really hot posters of women holding their tools. They’ll drive their truck to any site that has a mechanic and give anyone a line of credit on their first day on the job (many mechancics owe Snap-On until the day they die, its impossible to get on one of their trucks and walk off without something).

Craftsman tools are as good, they an instant no questions asked replcament guarantee but you’ve got to go to Sears to get them.

I’ve misused and broken many tools in my life and Sear’s never asks any questions, hand them the broken tool and go get a new one. I once ran over one of daddy’s wrenches with a lawnmower and Sear’s replaced it.

“Pops” always told his mechanic customers that they wouldn’t have to take time off of work to replace their tools if they bought Snap-On, because Snap-On was much less likely to break.

And I’ve got a basement full of Snap-On Tools, which I’ve abused the hell out of, but have never managed to break one myself.

I’d say Snap-On tools are better. I work on wells and water pumps. Tools rusting is an occasional nusance. The Snap on wrenchs and sockets my father bought 25 years ago have never rusted or broken. I’ve broken craftsman wreches a couple of times. I’ve also broken craftsman sockets. When I worked for Home Depot I never had a Husky wrench come back but did get broken sockets back. I’ve had both sears and HD refuse to exchange rusted adjustables.

I’m not likely to buy another Snap-On set. I have enough tools around that one breaking isn’t the end of the world. The Snap-On guy never visits me so I doubt it would be any easier to locate a snap-on guy then stop by Home Depot. With the prices you pay for Snap-On tools its only worth it if you really need them to last forever.

I have about 50 union mechanics working for me. They all seem to use Snap-On. Does it for me.

A good friend of mine won a set of Snap-On tools when he appeared as a contestant on “Monster Garage”. He says it’s the same assortment as in his Husky mechanic’s set but whereas he spent about $200 at Home Despot, the Snap-On set was valued (for tax purposes) at about $4000. He uses and abuses his Husky set all the time and hasn’t broken one yet. The Snap-On set is stored away someplace as a memento.

I can see that for a professional mechanic not having downtime while someone runs to the store is valuable, but for folks who have used both premium and “consumer” level tools, is there really that much of a difference in the strength of the steel, tolerances, ergonomics and overall durability/quality? I’m not talking about the difference between the bargain-bin $1 wrench and the $8 Craftsman one, but here’s a $95 set of 5 Snap-On screwdrivers:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=72255&group_ID=2639&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Compare this to the $20-$30 I’d spend for a large assortment of Sears or HD screwdrivers (I’ve never had one of those break). What is that extra money actually buying? If it’s buying peace of mind against a rare breakage I’d think you could buy two (or three, four, five…ten) sets and have zero downtime plus more flexibility (since tools can be shared out).

It’s not so much the materials but the ergonomics. Cheap tools feel wrong. They don’t sit right in your hand, and their balance is iffy. The higher the quality, the more comfortable they are to use.

The only Snap On tool I have is this ratcheting screwdriver and I have to say I LOVE it! I found it on the side of the highway and have been using it on a near daily basis for ~5 years. It feels right, works flawlessly and in general I love it. I’d love to get more but can’t afford them:)

Like I said, I can certainly tell the difference between El Cheapos and Pretty Good, I’m just wondering how much of an ergonomic improvement the vast increase in price actually buys you with Snap-On or other premium brands. Is there really that much room left to improve the ergonomics of a socket or a ratchet?

I’ve been browsing the Snap-On online catolog and the prices stagger me. A 48 piece socket set in 3/8" drive (that’s sockets, some extensions, ratchet, speed bar and a few other odds and ends) for $1200.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=hand&item_ID=1611&group_ID=2314&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

$1200? If you get it with a metal toolbox (that’s a plain toolbox with a tray) the price goes up to $1350 - that’d better be a helluva toolbox for $150!

That money will buy you a 540 piece mechanic’s tool set from Sears - again, this is Craftsman stuff which IMHO is pretty decent, not “finest cast zinc” or something like that.

Putting together an identical 48-piece kit would cost one or two hundred bucks, tops. Tool boxes are pretty inexpensive as well.

I really need to go handle my buddy’s S-O set but looking at those costs makes me think of $100/ft speaker cable…

That can be so misinterpreted!

If you make your living with them, and all you do every day is use those tools really hard…they’re worth every penny. For me…not so much. :smiley:

Snap-On seems to be preferred at work.
I don’t have a personal preference… well, I prefer the tools that have no identifying marks on them but their size and alloy composition… but I’m weird.

Wow, that must be a damn good friend. Only Mrs. Mercotan gets to handle my set…

Seriously, I inherited so many Snap-On tools that they get used for unlikely things. I’ve got a Snap-on Tool chest in its original box, being used to prop up one end of a shelf in the garage, because the three chests I have in the basement pretty much hold the rest of the tools.

Aim for brevity, wind up with smut :slight_smile:

Tell ya what, in the name of science I will be happy to take all those extra unused Snap-On tools off your hands, if they’re just sitting around gathering dust. I promise to report back asap on how they compare to my Husky tools.

He said “Husky tools”. Huh huh huh.

Hey, you try growing up with Snap-On Tool signs and posters all over the damn home, hearing the same old joke about Billie Jean King being their spokesperson, and see how you turn out! :wink:

I discovered this basic fact after using Boker and Camron electical tools for the first year I was in the trade. The first time I picked up a pair of Klein sidecutters, it was like having unexpected sex.