Safari Java issues on Intel MacBook Pro

Pogo.com games don’t work, and neither does one of my favorite speedtest sites. For pogo, after it grinds away trying to load while showing me an add, it hurls an error page telling me that Java is “not enabled or not funtioning properly”, and it directs me to apple.com, support, where I’ve spent most of the weekend trying to troubleshoot. The Apple Support forums are down again, for some reason.

On the dslreports speedtest, I just get the java icon of the coffee cup. Yahoo games also just gives me the coffee cup.

We’ve enabled, disabled, and re-enabled java many times within Safari. We’ve (attempted) to uninstall and reinstall java multiple times, both 1.4.2/1.3.1 and J2SE50.

I’ve also installed Netscape and it plays the pogo games, though they’re extremely slow.

One other thing that has me confused is whether we’re running Tiger or Panther. We bought this computer last Spring, and I’m almost positive it came with Panther installed. In reading all of the info on Tiger, it appears to come with a pricetag of about $130, and neither Mrs. WeHaveCookies or myself recalls paying for or installing the upgrade, yet when I check the OS version that we’re running, it shows version 10.4.8, which is Tiger, to the best of my reckoning.

Maybe we got a free upgrade because we purchased the machine so recently. I honestly don’t know. I’ve tried following support instructions for fixing Java for both a Panther install, and a Tiger install, with Tiger being my most recent attempt.

One last offer of details, per one of the support articles I read to confirm the java version currently in use, this is a cut and paste from a terminal:

$ java -version
java version “1.5.0_06”
Java™ 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_06-112)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 1.5.0_06-64, mixed mode, sharing)

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

I’m pretty sure the MacBook Pro came with Tiger installed. I got mine in March and that’s what it had. I mean, Tiger (OS 10.3.x) was released in April of 2005, so I highly doubt Apple was releasing its newest and meanest laptops with an OS released in 2003.

As for your other questions, I really don’t know. I just tried Pogo.com, and it works on my MacBook Pro, same specs as yours. I even have the same exact Java version as you installed.

Maybe check Safari > Preferences > Security to make sure that

Enable plug-ins
Enable Java
Enable JavaScript

are all checked.

That should be: “Tiger (OS 10.4.x).” Panther is OS 10.3.x.