How can I edit an HTML file ?

this is probably a beginner’s question but…

on an HTML page I used to have the option File, “edit or modify with Word”. Somehow this option disappeared. How can retrieve it ?

Thank you for your help

(have Windows XP Home)

Go to Tools> Internet Options> Programs tab

Change the HTML editor to Word

No! Don’t use Word!
Use Notepad!

Notepad can be used, but with Word you at least get to “see” what you’re editing. Plus you can use Word, and then goto > View > HTML source, and the code is layed out in a color coded fashion for ease using MS source editor. Still, notpad can be used.

Word is a very bad choice to use as an HTML editor. Word produces extensive code bloat that is not conducive to best practices, let alone anyone who has to wait forever for a Word-created page to download.

Besides, there are plenty of quality applications out there that will produce excellent results. NoteTab and UltraEdit are excellent text editors with builtin HTML coding support. Both have trial versions while NoteTab has freeware version as well. One of the better WYSIWYG freeware apps is First Page 2006.

Just forget Word.

Ooh, is it editor war time?

Emacs rules!

C-x C-c
:stuck_out_tongue:

Agree :slight_smile: Star Office 7 (and probably 8, and I assume OpenOffice) let you switch views and edit html without major bloat.

However, at work I mostly use emacs and just refresh the page when I want to see if it looks okay.

But my first word processor was runoff, so I don’t really believe in WYSIWYG editors yet. :slight_smile:

If this is an “editor war”, I’m with the Notepad™ Batallion.

Personally I despise Notepad and use Textpad

If you are going to understand HTML rather than just try to tweak it then do a Google search for:

Stephen le Hunte HTML

He wrote a Help file over 10 years ago, which is pretty useful.

• there are later versions, but I recommend using the oldest you can find

In my view, the best way of writing HTML is to do it with a text editor and have a few different browsers pointing at the page - and periodically refresh them.

Another view is to use a WYSIWYG editor and clean it up afterwards.

You’re right, but since he started out with “beginner’s question”, and that he used to once use Word to accomplish his goals, well maybe he should just stick with Word. Word?

The mentions of the other editors is still good if that’s what the OP is interested in.

I don’t have “Internet options” “Programs” in Firefox tools (did a thorough search…). I have it on Internet Explorer and the HTML editor is Word. But nothing doing, I can’t get that option anymore. So I’ll try the other solutions you kindly suggested.

Thank you all

You could also just save the file to your hard drive, open Word, and click “File>Open>nameofyourHTMLdocument”

I changed the HTML editor to “Notepad” and now I do get the option “Edit with Word” ! This computer is perverse.

It’s elementary but I never thought about it! :smack: And it works fine.

First Page 2006 seems to be a great tool but it takes forever for each click to work. I suppose it’s all due to my ignorance.

Thanxalot

Man, I wish they’d release a version of that for Mac. I used First Page 2000 on a PC several years ago, and I really liked the interface. Right now I use BBEdit in conjunction with Dreamweaver. I like DW, but it’s a freakin’ resource pig that makes me wonder if it’s written in Java. Or RealBasic.

Word. Talk about pigs …