Too much salt?

Today’s NY Times has this article about a new food rating system being implemented by Hannaford grocery stores. It seems that a lot of foods are getting poor ratings because they are high in sodium.

Now, I was always under the impression that the only problem with a high-sodium diet was that it raised the blood pressure, and so those with high cholesterol or other issues would be even more at risk.

Is it truly unhealthy for an otherwise healthy person to have too much sodium (within reason… I of course realise that eating a gallon of salt might have negative consequences)?

Actually, there is a dispute about that. Last I heard, it was often assumed that extra salt was dangerous even for those without abnormal blood pressure, but reearch into the area was rather lacking. There was anecdotal evidence that it was not a notable problem on a moderately high level.

Just an anecdotal comment - I happen to love salt. My blood pressure does not appear to be sensitive to it; the only time my blood pressure has ever been measured as being a little high was when I got a checkup while I had a cold and was taking OTC cold meds, which themselves can raise your BP. So, until I either get high blood pressure (without a cold) or somebody persuades me that salt is bad for you in the absence of high BP, I will continue to pour salt on my french fries!

Yes I know it aggravates high BP in many people. I’m wouldn’t dream of suggesting that those people ignore advice about their salt intake!

IIRC from nursing school high salt diets are not a cause of hypertension, it’s just that salt reduction helps to control hypertension. Generally, water follows salt. One of the standard treatments for hypertension is diuretics, keep the fluid volume a little low and the pressure in the system will be reduced. A high salt intake would negate that.