How to string Christmas lights in tall pine tree?

We’ll be putting up lights for the first time at this house this year. We have a big spruce/pine tree in front that’s as tall as the house, but not very wide; maybe 8 feet at the base. I don’t think it could really support a ladder. I have seen lovely lights in similarly tall this trees in my city, but for the life of me, I haven’t got a clue how they got up there.

Should I use a weight & string to pull up the upper end & then drape them around? Is there usually a long pole involved? Anything at the business end of said pole? Is there a special tool I don’t know exists? Google and the forum search haven’t helped, and I don’t feel up to high-jacking a power company cherry-picker truck to do the job.

Please share your live outdoor Christmas tree lighting tips, tricks, and techniques.

The Do It Yourself Network has some tips on how to anchor the leading end of the light string:

More tips from Planet Christmas.

Many Thanks, Walloon, that’s very useful.

In part of the town where I live, some people seem to go insane with lights. Really insane. I can’t imagine their electric bills. One guy puts lights on his tall pine tree. He uses what is essentially a crossbow to shoot strings over the top and into the upper branches.

The last company I worked at still had the remnenants of what I estimate to be 20 year old Christmas lights lingering in its pine trees.