Dice Wars

Risk meets Dice meets random maps each game play.

Enjoy this “time suck” . It sure has sucked my time.
Can some one figure out how the new dice get added?

I’m guessing the number of dice you get is based on total terrotories, or maybe a combo of total territories and number of territories won.

What I dislike about this game is that you always go last (what’s wrong with random?) and, call me crazy, but it seems that you always get screwed. My rolls seem to be consistantly lower.

Yeah, there was a long and involved thread about it a few months ago:

Anyway, if memory serves your new dice are allocated at random. I don’t know what bouv means about always going last. You always play Purple, and the order of colours seems to be random.

I guess I got the short side of the stick two games in a row. I suppose if I went for game 3, odds are I wouldn’t have been last again.

It’s pretty easy to win consistently. You get x new dice at the end of your turn, where x is the largest contiguous block of countries you have. The dice are given out randomly. So, your goal should be to create a stronghold at the periphery, so fewer of your nations will be under attack. The best scenario is to have several opponents duking it out.

The most fun is to play 8 countries. I adopt a conservative strategy. In the early rounds, I attempt to consolidate my territories. I only attack if I have a 2 dice advantage. I try to break threatening opponents into unconnected islands. And sometimes, I pass several turns in a row to build all my terrories to maximum, then crawl out. You can figure out how many spots you can take each turn and still have them regenerated to max.

Actually, going last or near-to-last isn’t that bad; it means all the players before you deplete their dice in attacking.

I figured it would have already been posted. But, the search cant search 3 letter words.

I like it.
If Risk could be more like this game (Or in fact, if it could be this game exactly) I would play it WAAAY more often.

I disagree. You want to follow a strategy on interior lines. Head for the middle of the board and force your opponents out to the periphery. You’ll have an easier time maintaining a single bloc of territories than the other players will. And even if your enemies have several two, three, or four territory groups and you have only a single five territory group, you’re the one who’s getting more reinforcements.

The key is always grab the largest possible single bloc by the end of your turn. You want as many reinforcements as possible. Don’t worry too much about overextending yourself - keep grabbing until you’re down to single armies. If you’re reinforcements drop along your frontiers, you’re protected. Even if they drop in your back country, your opponent’s attacks against your weak territories will just open up opportunities to counterattack.

The biggest danger is getting hit by a series of attacks from several different opponents. This game is a lot easier with fewer players. If you get a chance to knock someone out of the game, do it.

I think the game is easier with more players. Sitting out a turn and building up your dice is twice as valuable if you have a lot of opponents fighting back and forth and losing their dice. Likewise, you can play the balance-of-power. If magenta is kicking everyone’s butt, then you can lay off cyan knowing that will give him a chance to build up his armies and attack magenta. Sure he’ll attach you too, but since magenta has the most territories, he’ll get the most heat.

Another strategy is to look for a choke-point in the map and try to land a lot of armies on it. It will help build a wall on one side of your empire.

However, it seems like the most important aspect is that you can’t move armies. If you have a stack of dice trapped in a rear territory, then it helps to open up a hole in your empire to tempt an enemy in. Once he is in, your rear army can recapture the territories and place itself on the border. Similarly, it doesn’t always make sense to capture your opponent’s one-dice border territories. They provide a buffer between you and him. He can’t project into your empire if his border territories are weak.

Try multi-player dice wars.