Old 12-03-2006, 11:39 AM

cat food has everything needed for life....why isn't there a "people" food?

My cat has been fed nothing except dry pellet cat chow for 10 years, and she is perfectly healthy. The cat food supplies all the nutrition she needs.

Why is there no dry pellet "people food" that contains all necessary nutrients? Not that I'm expecting people to eat the same dry stuff every day all their lives. But it could be very useful--- Say, for soldiers, for emergency relief supplies at disaster areas, and for long-term relief of starving villagers in Africa.

Oh,yeah, and also for lazy people like me.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:41 AM

I wish I could remember where I read this, but I once read something suprising: Apparently, variety in one's diet actually correlates with unhappiness. The more routine your diet, for some reason, it turns out, the happier you tend to be.

So these people pellets might be just the thing for everybody, not just for starving villagers!

-Kris
Old 12-03-2006, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

You mean like Bachelor Chow?
Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula
My cat has been fed nothing except dry pellet cat chow for 10 years, and she is perfectly healthy. The cat food supplies all the nutrition she needs.

Why is there no dry pellet "people food" that contains all necessary nutrients? Not that I'm expecting people to eat the same dry stuff every day all their lives. But it could be very useful--- Say, for soldiers, for emergency relief supplies at disaster areas, and for long-term relief of starving villagers in Africa.

There is, although AFAIK it's only available a liquid form (I know, you said "dry pellet"). Specifically, drinks like Ensure and Resource are complete, even to the point of containing trace elements.

It's possible these trade names are unique to Canada, but my point is the same.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:44 AM
BANNED

cereal
Old 12-03-2006, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCO3
cereal
Almost, but not quite. But with milk and OJ, maybe.

KarlGauss is right- most of the "people chow" is in liquid forms. Although some of the food bars out there might be OK.

We also have choice,your cats doesn't.We are also omnivores and need a more varied diet than a carnivore. You cat makes his own Vit C for example.
Old 12-03-2006, 02:38 PM

I thought of this very question last night as I was feeding the three cats and two dogs I've been petsitting this weekend. I agree that "People Chow" (or "Bachelor Chow," which would be appropriate for me, though Purina might have to make some sort of payment to Matt Groening) is something I would probably eat.

Pet food is also a lot cheaper than human food.

How complete are those nutrition drinks? Could I live off of nothing but Ensure and water for decades and still be perfectly healthy?
Old 12-03-2006, 02:50 PM

Done and Done

The Monkey Chow Diaries
Old 12-03-2006, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

How about Soylent Green?
Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM

Bear in mind, also, that your can has something like 4% of your mass and sleeps 20 hours a day. That means he burns one hell of lot less energy than you do, which means that he eats much less. You'd probably go through two bags of cat food a week.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:16 PM

I did some research on this.
Apparently Purina Monkey Chow fits the bill, but sucks.
It's *NOT* much cheaper than a cheap diet, though.
There are also questions about the E. Coli count for that food in some tests.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 PM

I read an article about a guy who lived on pigeon feed for a year or so. It was cheap and nutritious enough, I guess.

I was at Costco the other week and they were selling those five-gallon buckets of what was basically "human chow." But they called it "emergency rations" or something. It was bags of variously named & flavored gruel all you need to do is boil some water & mix. It wasn't particularly cheap though. I think it was something like $80/bucket. I don't remember what it worked out to per/meal, but it did seem to be "human chow."
Old 12-03-2006, 03:31 PM

Oh, and while it apparently contained all the proteins, carbs, vitamins & minerals you need etc; it was vegetarian. I tasted some at the sample table and it wasn't bad.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Pizza with everything on it.
Old 12-03-2006, 04:41 PM

There's an old thread on this from a few years back. I'm running a search on the phrase "people kibble" but I think they've run out of hamster kibble, so no luck so far.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:03 PM

Found it:
Why don't they make People Kibble?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:28 PM

We do this every so often, as you can see by now. It seems possible, or at least I haven't been shown how it's impossible, but it seems nobody with the ability to make it happen sees a market. I say they're unimaginative clods too myopic to see past the ends of their own noses, but that's just me.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessan
Bear in mind, also, that your can has something like 4% of your mass and sleeps 20 hours a day.
Look, I know I sit around more than I should but making fun of my ass is uncalled for.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:04 PM

I know I'd buy it in a second. Sometimes I just don't have the energy or time to prepare myself a meal, much less worry about whether that meal is nutritional or healthy. I wouldn't even care if it tastes a little weird, as long as it doesn't induce the gag reflex.

I guess Slimfast shakes might fit the bill -- they're advertised as a meal-replacement drinks, and judging by the nutrition information on the label, they contain the right balance of protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that a human needs to survive. They're definitely not cheap though, and the thick, chalky texture takes some getting used too.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:42 PM

I for one would love decent-tasting People Kibble. But I've tried the Balance Bar/Power Bar test for a day and it didn't feel so hot. It wasn't the taste, but the discomfort of a gnawing empty stomach, despite having supposedly ingested enough calories to keep alive.

I wonder what would happen if someone tried Balance cars for a month? Does your stomach shrink THAT much if you eat non-filling food that it would get to the point of not hurting anymore when it's mostly empty?

And oh, I heard somewhere that Power Bars WERE designed for astronauts in the hope of finding some kind of People Kibble that humans could eat and produce minimal feces from. Just an urban legend as far as I know.
Old 12-03-2006, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonJohnSoup
I for one would love decent-tasting People Kibble. But I've tried the Balance Bar/Power Bar test for a day and it didn't feel so hot. It wasn't the taste, but the discomfort of a gnawing empty stomach, despite having supposedly ingested enough calories to keep alive.
So then have a bowl of oatmeal or other cereal or some whole-grain toast and then the Balance/Power/Slimfast/Whatsis bar.

There's something called the Satiety Index that lists which foods fill people up the most. So you could use the bars for nutrition and then eat one of the foods on the SI to fill in the gap.

Thank you. Where do I pick up my Nobel?

Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM

?

Bread fills me up by it burns away pretty quickly. I think People Chow would need some kind of filler that lets it slowly digest so the person wouldn't feel hungry. If you end up eating other things along with a Balance Bar to fill yourself up......then you might as well just eat other things.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:34 AM

Ladies and Germs, as a data point I give you...

The Dilberito

(which also happens to be a ghost site, a messenger from times past (2001) rattling the chains it formed in life as a warning for all who pass by)

Anyway, a few years ago Scott Adams (Creator of Dilbert) came up with the idea to make human chow in burrito form. They actually tried to get this one off the ground, but the result was a pretty spectacular failure. I think the fact that the Indian flavor variant was an insult to God and Curry, and the rest weren't all that great, might have been a factor.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:18 AM

Quote:
I think People Chow would need some kind of filler that lets it slowly digest so the person wouldn't feel hungry. If you end up eating other things along with a Balance Bar to fill yourself up......then you might as well just eat other things.

Exactly. People need fiber too, by the way. (They just don't waste much space with that sort of thing in energy bars.) So a well-balanced People Chow would need plenty of soluble and insoluble fiber.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:42 AM

Posted by Rick
Quote:
How about Soylent Green?
Isn't that made out of people? It just seems counterproductive, then.

That's why I like Soylent Red.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shecky
That's why I like Soylent Red.
I tried Soylent Red Green once, but it tasted funny.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I wonder what would happen if someone tried Balance cars for a month?
I did: while Balance Cars have plenty of iron and insoluble fiber, but I've found Mustangs give me more horsepower to get me through the day.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

My people's breath smells like people food.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM

Space Food Sticks?
Old 12-05-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Dennis
I know I'd buy it in a second. Sometimes I just don't have the energy or time to prepare myself a meal, much less worry about whether that meal is nutritional or healthy. I wouldn't even care if it tastes a little weird, as long as it doesn't induce the gag reflex.
Isn't this market niche pretty well filled by Ramen, malt/protein drinks, Doritos, etc. etc. etc.? IME you can eat nothing but bulky hunger-killing junk for a week at least without ill-effects providing you have a moderately well-balanced diet before and after. And a week is about as long as I can manage to eat the same thing day in and day out, no matter how tasty it is.
Old 12-05-2006, 04:20 PM

This thread is making me think of that baby food-like "rudimentary paste" they fed RoboCop.
Old 12-05-2006, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphead
Isn't this market niche pretty well filled by Ramen, malt/protein drinks, Doritos, etc. etc. etc.? IME you can eat nothing but bulky hunger-killing junk for a week at least without ill-effects providing you have a moderately well-balanced diet before and after. And a week is about as long as I can manage to eat the same thing day in and day out, no matter how tasty it is.
NO!

I eat at least three or four meals a week sitting at a computer eating whatever is convenient. Three or four meals of frozen pizza, ramen, and Doritos is NOT healthy. I know.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:21 PM

Not an answer to the OP but just thought i'd share my little food eccentricity.

I've NEVER* eaten anything other than breakfast cereal, bread, potato chips and chocolate bars in my life. I'm 31 and in good health as far as i know. And no, i don't take any supplements.

According to all my friends and family i should be dead by now. Am i killing myself slowly or what?

Oh and in response to an earlier post, despite some pretty awful things happening to me i've always been a pretty happy person. So maybe there's something in that lack of variety = happy thing.

*yes i suppose i ate baby foods when i was wee, but since then really nothing except those four things.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D.
I tried Soylent Red Green once, but it tasted funny.
Heh...I've been trying to come up with a pun on this theme, but I'm not worthy. Well done.

"I'm a man,

and I can change,

if I have to...

..I guess..."
Old 12-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksolid

I've NEVER* eaten anything other than breakfast cereal, bread, potato chips and chocolate bars in my life. I'm 31 and in good health as far as i know. And no, i don't take any supplements.

According to all my friends and family i should be dead by now. Am i killing myself slowly or what?

Oh and in response to an earlier post, despite some pretty awful things happening to me i've always been a pretty happy person. So maybe there's something in that lack of variety = happy thing.

*yes i suppose i ate baby foods when i was wee, but since then really nothing except those four things.
As long as your breakfast cereal is well fortified with vitamins, I can't see how you're posing any immediate risk of malnutirition to yourself.

DISCLAIMER: IANApersonatallqualifiedtocounselyouonnutrition.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:24 PM

Quote:

Really? Nothing? No pizza with friends or at the office? No cake and ice cream on your birthday? No popcorn at the movies? No taking a date to dinner? No green vegetable or meat in your entire post-infancy life?

This brings up a serious question that we haven't answered yet: what ARE the basic human dietary requirements?

I know we need certain micronutrients, most of which are in any multivitamin. (Anything missing can be gained from additional supplements. Biotin is too expensive to put a full dose in most multivitamins, so you'd probably need some of that.)

I know we need a certain number of calories (about 2000-2500 on average) from a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. We also need a certain amount of fiber.

Is that all? Is there anything else we need nutritionally?

If I made a mix of pulverized vitamin supplements, starch, powdered soy protein, soybean oil, and cellulose in the proper proportions, and consumed it every day with sufficient water, would I be missing anything besides my sanity? Would this be the ideal food, from a purely nutritional standpoint? If not, what would I need to add?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:38 AM

Anthony Burgess wrote a book called 'The Wanting Seed'
- it was pretty similar to Soylent Green - IIRC the product was 'Spam'

A long time ago I was told that the UK Government is very tolerant of the pet food manufacturers as they are regarded as a potential strategic industry should there be a war.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chappachula

Perhaps the better question is why subject a cat to 10 yrs of the same food.

I'm sure it is possible for both pets and people to eat the same meal every single time for their entire life but who would want to? Food is as much about enjoyment as it is about nutrition, what person would want to eat the same thing for 10 years?

My 19 yr old cat is sooooooooo on her last legs. She doesn't have too much longer, she has back leg issues, her memory is going (she comes into the room and then doesn't seem to know why or she goes out the window and can't remember how to get back in) but the one thing she is CLEAR about is food. Sometimes she NEEDS cheese and will sit in front of the fridge until cheese is delivered. Sometimes she only wants fishy canned food, other times she only wants dry food. She has always been a fussy bugger but I can't imagine how much she would have objected to dry food every day.

It seems so unnatural to feed dogs or cats dry food ALWAYS. Of course it seems like they like it...starving isn't fun but it's a wonder that boredom and total removal from a natural diet doesn't kill them off. I understand this dry food is highly scientific but try offering the cat a piece of fish instead of the grotty old dry food everyday and see what happens.

Dry food makes them live longer? Maybe...but is it a fun life?

Give your cat some cheese...it won't kill them
Old 12-06-2006, 04:24 AM

Quote:
I've NEVER* eaten anything other than breakfast cereal, bread, potato chips and chocolate bars in my life. I'm 31 and in good health as far as i know. And no, i don't take any supplements
First thought was, do you have any teeth and hair left?

Is there any sort of, um, "mulch" I could make myself that could be set or frozen for lengthy periods of time? I was thinking that if I liquidised all my fruit and veg and poured it into a mould, or made a big cake out of it, the goodness in all the food I put into it would be lost pretty soon.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:41 AM

Quote:

No, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend it as a diet to anyone who wasn't Scottish, but bearing in mind we scoff down such things as deepfried mars bars and chips, you're almost a health freak by national standards.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm kiwi
..Why subject a cat to 10 yrs of the same food..
Yeah....I used to give her canned food every morning as soon as I woke up at 6:00 a.m.--- Until she decided there's no reason to wait.....why not just meow loudly enough, and earn her canned food at 5:30....then at 5:00....then at 4:30.....etc,etc.
YMMV (your meowing may vary)
Old 12-06-2006, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushkin
Is there any sort of, um, "mulch" I could make myself that could be set or frozen for lengthy periods of time? I was thinking that if I liquidised all my fruit and veg and poured it into a mould, or made a big cake out of it, the goodness in all the food I put into it would be lost pretty soon.
I think the 'smoothie' is fairly close to this.

Most mornings, I place the following in a blender and turn it into a drink: bananas, frozen fruit, honey, liquid vitamins, hemp or flax oil, optionally spinach or lettice or other greens (cabbage was a bad idea), water. I didn't today because I was out of bananas. I keep menaing to try Thai coconut meat as well, and there's all sorts of other things I could put in.

I have tried freezing it, with dubious results. OTOH, the orange-pineapple-garlic ice cream I made in the same mixer, which wasn't too much different in compisition (roughly-speaking, it had milk, and no veggies or oil) turned out to be excellent.

I've really come to appreciate frozen fruit. How long does it keep its nutritional goodness?
Old 12-06-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kumquat
No, you'll be fine. I wouldn't recommend it as a diet to anyone who wasn't Scottish, but bearing in mind we scoff down such things as deepfried mars bars and chips, you're almost a health freak by national standards.
That explains one of my office mates from grad school, then. He lived for most of a quarter on a steady diet of Pasta Roni (basically, slightly fancier mac & cheese) made with powdered milk, and the rest of us were taking bets as to how long it would be before he got scurvy, but he never did. He must be part Scottish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calm kiwi
You might want to be careful with the amounts and types of cheese, though. Many adult cats are lactose-intolerant. Large amounts of soft or unaged cheeses (American cheese and Velveeta can be quite high in lactose) probably aren't a good idea, unless cleaning up cat diarrhea is your idea of a good time.

Be careful about having too much of your cat's diet come from people food, unless you know what you are doing when it comes to feline nutrition. A steady diet of canned tuna, for example, can cause health problems for cats, because tuna doesn't contain some nutrients that cats need (particularly, taurine, without which they can go blind or suffer heart problems).

There are people foods that are toxic to cats- onions, garlic, chocolate, tomatoes, and grapes are all bad for cats. I've also heard that avocados are toxic to cats. One of my cats went through a phase of begging for onions and avocado, so they don't always know what's good for them (of course, I never tried giving her any to see if she'd eat it).

When we cook fish, poultry, or beef, the kitties always get a little raw meat or fish, which they love (They don't get cooked meat or fish, because we cook most meat or fish with onions or garlic). If I use sour cream in something, I let them lick a little bit off the spoon. When we eat canned tuna, they get the "juice" squeezed from the can. But most of their diet is made up of a good-quality dry cat food, so I don't have to worry about their being malnourished.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee

I know we need certain micronutrients, most of which are in any multivitamin. (Anything missing can be gained from additional supplements. Biotin is too expensive to put a full dose in most multivitamins, so you'd probably need some of that.)

I know we need a certain number of calories (about 2000-2500 on average) from a balance of carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. We also need a certain amount of fiber.

Is that all? Is there anything else we need nutritionally?
If I made a mix of pulverized vitamin supplements, starch, powdered soy protein, soybean oil, and cellulose in the proper proportions, and consumed it every day with sufficient water, would I be missing anything besides my sanity? Would this be the ideal food, from a purely nutritional standpoint? If not, what would I need to add?

?
Humans need calories and water as the top two. One can get Calories from Carbs, proteins or fats. Then humans need: proteins (a well balanced slew of amino acids), fiber, "essential fatty acids" "EFA", minerals and vitamins.

Besides Biotin, many multivites don't have enough Calcium (Calcium is cheap but bulky), Magnesium, and sometimes Folic acid. Some few do have added EFA's.

I am not sure if Soybean Oil contains all the nessesary EFA's, or if Soy protein contains all the amino acids and properly balanced. I could find out.

There are also a host of other stuff like Anti-oxidents, Probiotics and such which althogh you might not need, they will make your life longer and healthier.

rocksolid's (and I expect his user name has something to do with his lower colon ) diet might work with the proper cereals and breads. Some cereals and breads have enough protiens and fiber, and many are vitamin enriched. I suspect strongly he pours milk over his cereal, and perhaps drinks some Guiness or fruit juice too. He seems to need more protien, and a multivite wouldn't be a bad idea. I'd make sure the cereal is decent whole-grain stuff, too, not empty calorie sugared stuff.

It has been calculated that one could survive on Guiness, as long as one also drank a glass of whole milk and another of OJ per day. I hope for gawds sake that the OJ has all the pulp, as you'd need fiber pretty badly.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
It has been calculated that one could survive on Guiness, as long as one also drank a glass of whole milk and another of OJ per day. I hope for gawds sake that the OJ has all the pulp, as you'd need fiber pretty badly.
Assuming that's true, why would fiber be necessary for what is an all liquid diet?
Old 12-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Call me "crunchy hippie," but that's exactly what I've always used granola for. I mean the kind that isn't too sugared.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
After a night on Guinness, I find I don't really need fibre to empty myself in the morning
Old 12-07-2006, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I know a woman well into her forties whose diet has been the same every day for years: bagel and coffee for breakfast, a pint of frozen dessert for lunch, and a vegetable salad and glass of wine for dinner.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
?

Bread fills me up by it burns away pretty quickly. I think People Chow would need some kind of filler that lets it slowly digest so the person wouldn't feel hungry. If you end up eating other things along with a Balance Bar to fill yourself up......then you might as well just eat other things.
The posters seeking 'people kibble' have specified they don't need a lot of variety; they want something fast that won't leave them deprived of nutrients.

So if the food supplement bar fulfils the nutritional requirements and the only concern is the empty feeling, keep on hand a stack of instant oatmeal packets which take all of two minutes to prepare. Voilą - speed + nutrition + not feeling empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Flavour? Man, does that ever sound gross! Anyway, you've just listed the contents of most power bars so why not save the effort and buy them instead?

I remember reading about a fellow with the same concerns about time and nutrition who concocted a recipe for a vegetable soup that contained most of the day's nutrients. He figured out that eating that soup plus a tomato sandwich on whole grain bread would supply everything he needed per day and that was his diet. I can't remember if he had it for lunch and dinner but I suppose he must've.
He'd make big batches of the soup and then freeze it in individual servings. It does mean you have to cook, but only once in a while.

Or you could do like Jarred and follow the Subway diet.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesiron
Assuming that's true, why would fiber be necessary for what is an all liquid diet?
By the time the liquids get digested into food, they get compacted in your lower colon just like anything else. You might excrete the water as urine.