F'ing mosquitoes

I live in Turkey (although I’m a Brit not that that is important) and I often find that I get the shit bitten out of me by Mozzys and my wife tends to escape this scourge.
Why do some get bitten more than others (I’ve heard all sorts of crap about ‘sweet blood’ etc) but I’d like some comments re. the science. Even better if someone knows how it could be prevented other than the usual chemical attacks.

Thanks in anticipation.

I don’t have an answer for you, but I am one of those people who never gets bitten by mosquitoes. Hell, I even grew up in the hot humid southern United States. The only things that bite me are fleas. And I never even know they do until I see them because they never itch. I’m the only one in my family who’s like this so I don’t know if it’s genetic, lifestyle or what. One place I found suggested taking garlic supplements to keep buys from biting. Does that mean I smell like garlic? Is that why? :frowning:

Mosquitoes home in on carbon dioxide, primarily. I don’t know how that relates to your problem, exactly. The other thing is perceptual difference: my wife gets bitten and so do I but I’ve lived here all my life and don’t react badly, but she breaks out in welts instantly. So she notices and I don’t.

I have heard that eating garlic, and/or rosemary, can make you less palatable to the little monsters. I eat foods with garlic and seem to get less bites than other people I know. Of course I may just smell bad to mosquitoes anyway.

You don’t have access to the Search function, but a quick peek seems to state that your natural chemistry is a possible reason. The combination of scents and natural body odor might make you more appetizing. I go camping deep in the northern woods all the time and I’m the prime target it seems. I’m also more allergic to the bites. A typical bite will yeild a nickel size welt for upwards of a week. Whereas my camping mates can go shirtless.

What’s wrong with the usual chemical attacks? Are you thinking that Citronella candles do not employ chemicals?
The skeeters are launching a chemical attack on you. Fight them with DEET. It is 100% effective. Or go where there are no skeeters.

I’ve attributed the fact that bugs tend not to bite to my smoking.

Blech. Don’t bite Him! They seem to say.

While Deet is a Class D carcinogen, care can be employed that it’s applied to things other than your skin… to your clothes, cap, shoes, etc.

So it’s start smoking and ingest garlic after covering myself in rosemary !

It’s a crazy thing. I am mosquito bait and Mrs.Flex is invisible to them. We have two daughters - one is like me and one is like her (in the mosquito attraction sense). There’s something to what Aunt Flow says about fleas also. While mosquitos can’t resist me, fleas are totally not interested. Mrs.Flex is flea bait.

Is it possible that mosquitos are biting your wife, and she just doesn’t notice? Some people just don’t get welts from mosquito bites, and without the itchy welts, the bites themselves are very easy to ignore.