Is "real Coke" vegan?

A friend of mine recently decided to become vegan. I don’t really care, although I do find learning about vegan foods fascinating - I could never do it myself.

So I’m experimenting on making a version of a vegan burrito for my cookbook that he’s going to test for me, and he was like “Good God, I wish I could have a coke with it.”

I know that the addatives in modern Coca-Cola products more than likely render a coke non-vegan (the lable of the can I’m drinking now says “Natural flavors from plant or animal sources”). However, there are a lot of little Hispanic shops around here that sell “real” Coke and Sprite, with sugar, as opposed to high fructose corn syrup. I was wondering if anyone 'round these parts knows if the “real” Coke is vegan or not? I can’t tell from my English translation lable if there would be something in there that would make it un-palatable, and if I’m gonna make said friend a good Vegan meal, I want good Vegan drinks to go with it. :smiley:

~Tasha

Although not a vegan, I hope this helps:

From Vegan for Life

Thanks! Totally hookin’ him up with a Coke then. :smiley:

~Tasha

Isn’t real Coke made with cane sugar? Cane sugar is sometimes processed using bone char and most vegans avoid it. cite

You are right, but it does not seem to be used in the Coke made in the US., which does not use cane sugar:

Yeah, that was going to be my comment, although the vegans i speak to and read on the internet seem somewhat divided over the issue.

Some argue that, because the char doesn’t actually go into the sugar, it’s OK, while others are adamant that sugar processed this way isn’t vegan.

Of course, this can just as easily be an issue for vegetarians, some of whom may not like the idea that their sugar has been filtered through bone char. I’m a vegetarian, and while we use organic raw sugar in the house, i’'ve never been very worried if i have to eat regular white sugar.

Interestingly, sugar filtered through bone char is still considered kosher/parve, because, as i said, the char doesn’t actually end up in the sugar itself.