How many times does Frodo lose the ring in LOTR? I count.....

Each year around this time, my wife and I watch the extended edition LOTR from start to finish, it takes two days in case you are wondering. This year I bet my wife how many times Frodo does not have the ring on his person.

Our rules were thus:

One number can include when Frodo was given the ring at Bag End or if you’d like, when he was entrusted the ring after the fellowship was formed in Rivendell. I will put what I get in a spoiler, so people can think on it a while… I believe I’m fairly accurate…

[spoiler] If we go from when Frodo was given the ring at Bag End, then I get (3) times he was without the ring.

1. when he gave the ring to Elrond, and the fellowship was formed.
  2. when he slipped on Mt. Eregion before entering the Mines of Moria. And Boromir gave it back.
  3. when we was tied up and Sam got it, in Tower of Ungul I think was the name.

So I get (3) times Frodo was without ring… Anyone get a different number?[/spoiler]

SH*T!!! That last line belongs in the spoiler!

Would you also include:

When the ring is heated in the fireplace at Bag End

And of course:

How about when Smeagol/Gollum takes it at the end

I always thought it was amusing to consider how many people Frodo tries to give the ring away to - it’s like Tolkien’s stock character-test. There’s Gandalf, Aragorn, Galadriel, Faramir (I think) - any others?

In the book, he gave it to Tom Bombadil.

I rewatched the movies last weekend too. Didn’t Frodo sort of extend the ring to the Witch King (or one of the Ring Wraiths, flying over) when they were at Osgiliath? Poor guy, he was so tired, and the worst was still ahead.

Well, there is that moment when…

…at the Prancing Pony in Bree he falls down and the ring is in midair before it falls directly onto his finger.

Stupid movies. :mad:

From the moment Frodo obtains the ring when Bilbo leaves, he is without it in his direct possession any number of times. We are told that, in the years between when Bilbo leaves and when Gandalf arrives to tell Frodo that the ring is the One Ring, Frodo does not always keep the ring in his possession. Indeed, without pulling out my books (boxed at the moment, a sad state of affairs!), I recall that his need to keep the ring about him at all times was an indication of the growing affect of the ring on him (though I could be conflating him with Bilbo).

From the Shadow of the Past chapter, the books describe the following times he does not have the ring:

[spoiler]1) Gandalf tosses it in the fire.

1. He hands it to Tom Bombadil.

2. It is taken by Sam after Shelob stings Frodo unconscious.

3. Gollum bites the ring off his hand at the end.[/spoiler]

Maybe my memory is growing old and dim, but I don’t think I’ve missed any.

That sounds pretty complete. Do you think this one counts?

After fainting at the Ford of Bruinen and during his sleep, the elves string the ring onto a “new chain, light but strong.” Presumably it was out of his power and handled by someone else at this point.

Perhaps they made the new chain, threaded it through the ring, then cut off the old chain - never touching the ring itself.

I’d say we’d have to assume nothing; it is possible the Ring was handled (probably by Gandalf), but I wouldn’t bet money on it. :slight_smile:

Sounds like Mary Poppins taking her bra off.