The Wire: Is Snoop a Girl?

Okay, so I’m watching current episodes and catching up the back eps on DVD. I’m only done w/ season 1.

When I first saw Snoop, the Hardest Hitperson on the West Side, I though he (?) was just rather androgynous & babyfaced. However, in a recent episode, they alluded to “some girl named lupe… soup, something like that.” Clearly talking about Snoop. So, what’s the deal? Are the Po-lice just as confused as me, or do they know something I don’t?

Well, the character is played by somebody named Felicia.

I didn’t catch on to that for a long time either, but there were a couple of mentions of the character being female in some of the more recent episodes.

Well for me it was the boobs…

Come on she’s not Dolly Parton but she does have them.

Well the baggy clothes tends to hide stuff like that and make a person seem more androgynous.

It took me a few episodes to figure out her gender – my first impression was that she was an adolescent male.

At the end of the first episode of this season- There’s a beautiful shot of Snoop waiting in the playground. She’s in just a tank top and baggy pants. It was used in the title sequence this season as well.
But from the same episode, the first scene where she buys the nail gun it is extremely hard to tell she’s a girl.

I’ve never seen the show, but I was curious to see a photo and found this: the character bio at HBO refers to Snoop as “she.”

Yes, she’s definitely a girl. She doesn’t look particularly androgynous to me, but YMMV.

I take it we’re not talking about Snoop Dogg?
I had my cable disconnected a few years ago in a fit of rage brought on by Sean Hannity followed much too closely by Bill O’ Reilly. Or was it the other way around? I dunno, it’s all a blur.
Anyway, if The Dogg is a girl, she sure is an ugly one.

Stephen King said about Snoop that she is "perhaps the most terrifying female villain to ever appear in a television series. When you think of Chris [Partlow] and Snoop, think of John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo, only smart. And with a nail gun. "

Stephen King is on the mark with that call!

Snoop is one bad-ass woman… pure evil but in a chillingly harmless-looking body. When she went in to buy the nail gun, you had no idea if she was going to kill the salesperson or not - but she was the perfect little customer, polite and asking all the right questions. She should get an Emmy nomination, but to be honest, I don’t think I would want to sit next to her in the audience. I would be afraid I would be dead by the first commercial break.

I think it’s more her voice and personality than anything – I mean if you gave her some “girlie” clothes and some make-up, there’d be no doubt about her gender (I think she’s quite attractive actually).

But add the baggy clothes, the husky voice, and the badass attitude, and she’s definitely harder to pigeonhole.

Fascinating character, among many.

Well, she may be terrifying, but not because of any relationship to the “snipers.” John Allen Muhammad and Lee Boyd Malvo had some whacked agenda. That’s why they got caught. Snoop and Partlow are just in it for the money. The are stone cold scary SOBs.

I remember having this same conversation, or close to it, early in Tracy Chapman’s carreer.
mangeorge

I didn’t realize she was a girl until they showed the cork board in the Major Crimes office (I think) with an index card underneath it that said “Felicia Pearson.” Then I looked it up because I couldn’t believe my eyes. Not only is she a girl, but Felicia Pearson is her name IRL as well as on the show.

She had quite a life before being discovered by Michael K. Williams, the actor who plays Omar on The Wire. She really turned her life around. Pretty cool. She does deserve an Emmy nom.

I don’t watch the show (no HBO) but I heard an interview with the guy who writes it on Fresh Air with Terry Gross. He confirmed that she’s a girl, FWIW. This was a few weeks ago.

For a while, I thought she was like a weird male, with stunted growth and an odd voice. It made her even creepier.

The opening scene this year where she bought the nail gun was hilarious. She just gave the guy $800 and told him to take care of it. When she got back to the SUV, she referred to the nail gun as “27 caliber nail throwing mayhem”.

Ever considered the possibility of a love scene with her and another character?

She’s gay, so it would have to be with Greggs. :slight_smile: Or Omar’s female partner in crime.

Do we know she’s gay?

Yeah, not least because of the exchange in the most recent episode, while Chris and Snoop are handcuffed on the curb.