Old 02-13-2007, 05:04 PM

More on the Right Wing Daily show (commercial, specifically)

As mentioned in the thread titled The Right Wing Daily Show is Coming! the Fox News channel will be airing a show entitled The Half Hour News Hour hosted by Kurt Long and Susan Yeagley.

On February 12th Fox News aired a commercial for the show. It was a "joke" public service announcement. I saw only the last 15 seconds of it.. It may have been a video clip shown on The O'Reily Factor as it was on around the same time as the clip (I caught it while walking past the TVs at the gym).. I'm not sure.

Either way the commercial (still frames here [note, liberal blog, facutual frames, it was the only site I could find that had the images]) disguises itself as a public service announcement on a NEWS CHANNEL.

Besides the point, but the commercial warns that the show

Quote:
May offend The Left, The Far Left, Anyone Standing to the Left, Gay Penguins, Lawyers, The ACLU, Anyone With ACLU in Their Name, Democrats, People Who Voted for Democrats, People Who Know Democrats, and Gay Penguins
They sound like a bunch of cheery happy unbigoted people...

Anyway, not long ago I started a thread titled Minor Pitting.. Ghost Hunters on Dis. and other misplaced shows (It turns out I was mistaken... Ghost Hunters was on the correct channel.. other shows are mentioned, though.. so the thread isn't totally worthless). THIS SHOW MORE THAN ANY OTHER belongs on that list.

Last edited by clayton_e; 02-13-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:11 PM

From the description you gave, this is not a right wing Daily Show. It is a right-wing comedy style news show. Once again, the Daily Show attacked ALL media. This one appears to solely target leftists.

For once I wish the "left-wing media" was as real, organized and effective as the right wing media.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
From the description you gave, this is not a right wing Daily Show. It is a right-wing comedy style news show. Once again, the Daily Show attacked ALL media. This one appears to solely target leftists.
Yeah, I thought about mentioning that The Daily Show show seems to target the media in general, but considering the audience of it (ever see a right winger come on the show? Or a leftist movement mentioned? Usually gets a loud cheer from the crowd) I figured it safew to call The Half Hour News Hour its opposite... or at least the right wing's response to it.

It being a right-wing comedy news show rather than an all around media mocker and the predicted failure of it because of this is discussed well in the first thread I linked to.

Last edited by clayton_e; 02-13-2007 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
May offend The Left, The Far Left, Anyone Standing to the Left, Gay Penguins, Lawyers, The ACLU, Anyone With ACLU in Their Name, Democrats, People Who Voted for Democrats, People Who Know Democrats, and Gay Penguins
Hmmm, this doesn't bode too well for the show's funniness quotient. If your chief advertising hook is bragging about how much you're going to piss off your ideological adversaries, your content is probably going to be heavy on the partisan ranting and light on the genuine humor. (Moreover, the wit level of phrases like "The Left, The Far Left, Anyone Standing to the Left" and "The ACLU, Anyone with ACLU in Their Name" strikes me as fairly low.)

Compare this rather heavy-handed pitch to the Daily Show's deadpan, self-mocking slogans: "One anchor, five correspondents, zero credibility." "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - it's even better than being informed." The true heartbeat of funny is being able to poke fun at yourself.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
The only thing that offends me about this is its Barbaro-like lameness. Who thought adding "gay penguins" once let alone twice was a good idea? If this little gem is any indication, the show has jumped the shark already.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:32 PM

The Gay Penguins are probably more offended by the fact that it's not, you know, funny.

Last edited by Guinastasia; 02-13-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM

So.. Predictions on how long it will last?

I actually give it a while.. at least a couple seasons...

Though its nearly likely, IMHO, that it would only go for six or seven episodes.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton_e
(ever see a right winger come on the show? Or a leftist movement mentioned? Usually gets a loud cheer from the crowd)
Hm.. That should be Usually gets a loud cheer or boo from the crowd... I assume right wingers rarely get standing ovations on The Daily Show..

(I even missed it in the typo edit I made..)
Old 02-13-2007, 06:16 PM

Am I the only one who finds it completely repulsive that they even made the "Gay Penguins" joke at all? I mean, these people actually DO support oppression and discrimination against homosexuals. It's like they're flaunting their igornance and evil.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChild
Am I the only one who finds it completely repulsive that they even made the "Gay Penguins" joke at all? I mean, these people actually DO support oppression and discrimination against homosexuals. It's like they're flaunting their igornance and evil.
You're just another one of those softie bleeding heart liberals.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:18 PM

A spokesman for gay penguins said he was glad that no gay penguins were involved...
Old 02-13-2007, 06:19 PM
I Am the One Who Bans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimstu
Hmmm, this doesn't bode too well for the show's funniness quotient. If your chief advertising hook is bragging about how much you're going to piss off your ideological adversaries, your content is probably going to be heavy on the partisan ranting and light on the genuine humor.
And the left isn't going to watch Fox in the first place - even less likely with that kind of ad. So they've thinned their audience right from the start.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Meh. That description sounds like "Mallard Fillmore" on one of Bruce Tinsley's more self-important days.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marley23
And the left isn't going to watch Fox in the first place - even less likely with that kind of ad. So they've thinned their audience right from the start.
Are you kidding? Diogenes and elucidator will be their biggest fans! Those guys are always bitching about what they saw on FoxNews.

I taped Red Eye last night and will watch it later-- just out of curiosity. I figured the day after that weekend of presidential primary positioning would be a good day to judge the content. Is that a different show than "the Right-Wing Daily Show"? Maybe I got my shows mixed up.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChild
You're giving them to much credit. A yawn is a better response than outrage.

I'll catch an episode or two if I can, but the real gold is going to be when Jon Stewart gets around to lampooning them and their inevitable self-evident bullshit, because that will be hysterical. It wouldn't surprise me if they come and go so fast he misses his chance, though. Politics aside, no comedy show claiming to be edgy can afford to be lame.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:30 PM

Strangely I can't seem to find an official reference to the show whatsoever from Fox News or the Fox corporation. There are quotes in some news articles, some uncited information about the show, but no website.. No "Coming soon!" on Fox News, NADDA. I couldn't even find the commercial on youtube.. As I mentioned above.. The only screenshots I found were from a liberal rant.

Why?

Or do I just suck at Google?

Can anyone find a vid of the commercial?

Last edited by clayton_e; 02-13-2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
(Moreover, the wit level of phrases like "The Left, The Far Left, Anyone Standing to the Left" and "The ACLU, Anyone with ACLU in Their Name" strikes me as fairly low.)
Also, dangerous. I know I wouldn't want to piss off Count Draclua, Prince of Dakrness.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy
Also, dangerous. I know I wouldn't want to piss off Count Draclua, Prince of Dakrness.
Ok... That has to be e-mailed to The Daily Show.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, this doesn't bode too well for the show's funniness quotient. If your chief advertising hook is bragging about how much you're going to piss off your ideological adversaries, your content is probably going to be heavy on the partisan ranting and light on the genuine humor. (Moreover, the wit level of phrases like "The Left, The Far Left, Anyone Standing to the Left" and "The ACLU, Anyone with ACLU in Their Name" strikes me as fairly low.)

Compare this rather heavy-handed pitch to the Daily Show's deadpan, self-mocking slogans: "One anchor, five correspondents, zero credibility." "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - it's even better than being informed." The true heartbeat of funny is being able to poke fun at yourself.
It appears that you're not part of their target audience.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Are you kidding? Diogenes and elucidator will be their biggest fans! Those guys are always bitching about what they saw on FoxNews. ...
Well, only the lies. Rest of it is OK.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:56 PM

Can anyone picture this show doing segments on earnest people with wacky hobbies, as is common on The Daily Show? Will there be anything comparable to Samantha Bee getting back to her "roots" in Columbus? If the new show limits itself only to mocking left-wing politics, how's it going to fill 30 minutes a day?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
I taped Red Eye last night and will watch it later-- just out of curiosity. I figured the day after that weekend of presidential primary positioning would be a good day to judge the content. Is that a different show than "the Right-Wing Daily Show"? Maybe I got my shows mixed up.
I think you did; AFAICT, the forthcoming right-wing laff fest that is the subject of the OP is something called The Half Hour News Hour, not Red Eye. (Both are discussed in this Variety article.)

Let us know if Red Eye is any good!
Old 02-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Let us know if Red Eye is any good!
I actually watched about 10 minutes of it last week. The host (can't remember his name) acts like he's had about 6 Red Bulls before he goes on air. There was a very hot chick on the show with a short-short skirt (you probably don't care too much about that), and she (as should be expected) seemed to be the brains of the bunch. I got a few chuckles, but it was mostly lame. Then again, I think most of The Daily Show is pretty lame, too.

Last edited by John Mace; 02-13-2007 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:46 PM

Is it just me or is The Half Hour News Hour a really lame name?

The Thirty Minute News Hour is even a little funnier, though 30 Minutes would be better still. Their logo could be ticking clock ala 60 Minutes but perhaps ticking backwards (get it- the time's moving left- yuk yuk).

Better yet would The Conservative Hour (catch phrase "So conservative an hour is only 30 minutes").

Half Hour News Hour sounds like something a prosaic bitter executive (I'm picturing J.K. Simmons from Spiderman) came up with and a battery of yes men laughed at it.

"It's gonna be big! We need a name... R&D nerds! See if Red Skelton's available to host it! Marketing! Do a poll and see how black-face comedy duos test with Middle America! Skelton's dead? Great! That means we can use that Clem Skadiddlehopper or whatever without having to pay him some ridiculous $1000 per episode. Check on... hold on... Miller's on Line 4? Tell him to go straight to hello Dennis! No, we're scrapping the idea for the show... sorry, wrong report, we've killed the show... nope, there's not gonna be one at all sorry you take care... Hey! See if the studio bought that monkey for Miller or just rented it! If we own it get his little hairy ass in here and put it in a suit... we'll call it Barack Obanana- what do you mean racist? He's half white and monkeys are African! WHAT?! Black face is illegal? Shit, there goes my idea for POINT MO-FO COUNTERPOINT! Well, put out a press release that Half Hour News Hour will proudly have 'No black face comedy teams... ooh, not like Daily Show's planning to have! Start that rumor... and find out if Ann Coulter and Newt Gingrich can sing! Oh fuck... if Miller tries to get into my office again I want somebody to kick him in the balls and swear pictures of Foley's nekkid interns fell out of his pocket!"
Old 02-13-2007, 07:51 PM

Of course what I particularly love is this show coming from a network that not only sued Franken for parody but even tried to sue THEMSELVES over it once.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elucidator
Well, only the lies. Rest of it is OK.
That really limits your viewing, doesn't it?
Old 02-13-2007, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy
Now that I reread this it would be really funny... I just skimmed over the fact that the letters aclu would be in the wrong order.

And why can't I find this commercial on youtube or google video? I figured it would pop up on there pretty fast.. Conservative fans and such.. Hell, they even get cell phone commercials of all things up there pretty fast.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
If the new show limits itself only to mocking left-wing politics, how's it going to fill 30 minutes a day?

Obviously, by making a lot of jokes about gay penguins.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostillicus
Obviously, by making a lot of jokes about gay penguins.
Hey, how many gay penguins does it take to screw in a lightbulb?

Just two, both male. He-LLOOOO! THEY'RE GAAAY! GAY PENGUINS...!

That leaves 29 minutes and 45 seconds.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If the new show limits itself only to mocking left-wing politics, how's it going to fill 30 minutes a day?
Same way O'Reilly does. Lotsa booze, lotsa coke, lotsa crystal meth, lotsa congenital retardation. Plus coffee.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissa
For once I wish the "left-wing media" was as real, organized and effective as the right wing media.
"For once"?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton
"For once"?
Once is not enough.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:19 PM

Can anyone find links on predominantly conservative message boards talking about The Daily Show around the beginning of its airing? ('96, I believe.... Though I don't recall ever seeing it until the '00 election.. Was it really popular before that?) Was it predicted to fail immedietly? If so, was their reasoning mirrored in this thread?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM
Friend of Cecil
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton_e
Can anyone find links on predominantly conservative message boards talking about The Daily Show around the beginning of its airing? ('96, I believe.... Though I don't recall ever seeing it until the '00 election.. Was it really popular before that?) Was it predicted to fail immedietly? If so, was their reasoning mirrored in this thread?
It was very popular when Craig Kilborn was the host, though not as high profile. It never positioned itself as a liberal comedy show flogging the right. It really was just a fake news show.
Old 02-13-2007, 10:24 PM

Found it (commercial video)

Oh, and Snooooopy, now I see your joke is entirely correct.. I just forgot it said "anyone with the ACLU" in their name.

And the last three items of those possibly offended are "Illegal Aliens, Space Aliens, and Tom Cruise"

Last edited by clayton_e; 02-13-2007 at 10:27 PM.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Is it just me or is The Half Hour News Hour a really lame name?

The Thirty Minute News Hour is even a little funnier, though 30 Minutes would be better still. Their logo could be ticking clock ala 60 Minutes but perhaps ticking backwards (get it- the time's moving left- yuk yuk).

Better yet would The Conservative Hour (catch phrase "So conservative an hour is only 30 minutes").

Half Hour News Hour sounds like something a prosaic bitter executive (I'm picturing J.K. Simmons from Spiderman) came up with and a battery of yes men laughed at it.
My first thought was it was a play on The News Hour with Jim Leher (PBS).

re: Red Eye. I could only get thru half of it. It's too noisy and disjointed-- I think it's supposed to appeal to folks in their 20s. And it isn't all that political. My guess (and I skimmed thru a lot of it) is that it's about 20 -30% politics and then a lot of pop culture stuff like making fun of Anna Nichole Smith, OTC Viagra in the UK, and stuff like that.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM
Charter Member

Forgot to add... I think it's meant to compete more with Letterman and Leno, and for a much younger audience. For the record, I hate those late night shows and don't see how anyone except insomniacs can watch them.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
My first thought was it was a play on The News Hour with Jim Leher (PBS).
I thought it was some vague reference to the Canadian show "This Hour Has 22 Minutes".
Old 02-14-2007, 01:13 AM

Is it going to have animated segments featuring that titan of Right-Wing humor, Mallard Fillmore?
Old 02-14-2007, 01:34 AM

Actually John Mace, it seems more like a rip-off of a political comedy/satire in Canada that's called "This hour has 22 minutes", which is a play on an older show that was called "This hour has 7 days", a well respected current affairs show from the 60's. You KNOW that they got Canadians hired for amusing press releases.

But seriously, that is one pathetic promo. It's clear that this show is just meant to be a right-wing sounding board and not an actual competitor to the Daily Show. It's best described as a "Right Wing Answer to the Daily Show". It is not going to try to emulate it at all, just blather a response to lefty,slacker, pot smoking opinions as related by Jon Stewart.

ETA: Damn you clayton_e, even though you apparently beat me by 2 hours.

Last edited by CarnalK; 02-14-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 AM

Quote:
The true heartbeat of funny is being able to poke fun at yourself.
Agreed. But it doesn't seem like a lot of people have that ability. Witness all the "how dare you!" hand-wringing over gay penguins. Stewart may poke fun at all sides, but his biggest applause and laugh segments are those that poke fun of the right. Maybe as Washington swaps parties for a few years, his audience will morph from lefties to righties.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal
Witness all the "how dare you!" hand-wringing over gay penguins.
All the one post, you mean? The one line, two sentence post, made by a guest?

Anyway. Offending people can be funny. Repeatedly telling people how you don't care if you offend people is not funny. It's not even meta-funny. It's like people who repeatedly declare themselves to be "wacky" ("I'm a bit mad, me"), and then prove it by wearing a silly tie. Bill Hicks, for example, didn't go around shouting "hey, look at me offending everyone!" - he got on with actually offending them.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Badger
All the one post, you mean? The one line, two sentence post, made by a guest?
I can understand being blinded by partisanship, but damn. You do know how to spell "gay", right?
Old 02-14-2007, 06:14 AM

I thought the show title was riffing on MTV's old Half Hour Comedy Hour.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberal
I can understand being blinded by partisanship, but damn. You do know how to spell "gay", right?
I count about seven posts in this thread addressing the ad's mention of gay penguins. Only one of those appears to me to be expressing offence at it; the rest are pointing out - quite rightly - that it's just massively unfunny. But maybe this is "hand-wringing" to you. Who knows? You certainly seem to be a master of projection.

Speaking of which, I realise you love your little hinterland of dorky "neutrality" whereby you feel that you can just shout "partisan!" at all and sundry like a Polish informer who needs a new winter coat, but this UK-resident, some-time Conservative, some-time Green voter finds it more than slightly pathetic. Oh yeah, I'm just balls-out for those Democrats here in London.

Sheesh.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnalK
But seriously, that is one pathetic promo. It's clear that this show is just meant to be a right-wing sounding board and not an actual competitor to the Daily Show.
So what? Who says it has to be created in the image of TDS?

I don't really care for FoxNews that much... except how it seems to tweak so many people around here for absolutely ridiculous reasons. It's not a copy of The Daily Show-- BFD. If it had been a copy, someone would be Pitting it for that reason.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:42 AM

Well, found a segment. Wow, a Marion Barry joke! Way to stay on the cutting edge! And the laugh track is clearly stuck on infinite loop.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

There's something inherently funny about gay penguins. But wishing offense to gay penguins is really unfunny; it's like pulling the wings off of flies. What did the gay penguins do to you?

Anyway, this kind of "look at how politically incorrect I am!" schtick is pure comedy gold to the right-wing nutbars. They'll be saying what they're all thinking, if it weren't for the feminists/PC police/gay penguin advocates.
Quote:
So what? Who says it has to be created in the image of TDS?
IIRC, this was the stated concept--to skewer the left the same way other satirical news shows (which would be TDS and Colbert) skewer the right. I guess they didn't notice how vicious Stewart has been to the Democratic primary candidates.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Well, found a segment. Wow, a Marion Barry joke! Way to stay on the cutting edge! And the laugh track is clearly stuck on infinite loop.
That was awful. A joke about Obama's initials being B.O. ? Is the show written by second graders?
Old 02-14-2007, 08:01 AM
Not a real doctor.
Charter Member

Quote:
Ooh, I know:

"Chappaquiddick!" <insert laugh track>