Craythur

When my wife and I went to Ireland for our honeymoon many years ago, we visited all of her great-aunts and –uncles. One of them knew a gentleman who made his own poteen, or craythur. I had a small glass and while it went down with a nice burn and smooth taste it also felt like I got socked in the gut. WOW! I was in love!

This great-uncle is coming to the US around St. Patrick’s Day (gee, what a shock) and I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it would be for me to make my own to serve him. He’s 94 and I know he would get a kick out of it.

Is building and running a still hard to do? Where can I find a recipe? If it would be too hard to make my own, is there someplace I can buy some?

Just as a legal note, it’s illegal in the US to distill alcohol for drinking without a permit.

However, unlike Ireland (where I hear it’s still illegal to sell) you might be able to buy him a bottle. I’ve seen several brands available (Bunratty, for instance)

I’ve never had the real stuff, but I’d much rather you disappoint your great-uncle slightly than run afoul of them revenuers.

Out of curiosity, why doesn’t this apply to home beer brewers? Or does it?

The Feds allow natural fermentation but not any other method to increase the alcohol content. Distilling or concentrating is strictly regulated, beer and wine are specifically allowed (within specific limits).
Random site that isn’t as difficult to navigate as http://www.ttb.gov/

As for why, I believe it’s related to the Whiskey Rebellion.