Bavarian creme vs. Boston creme

When it comes to pastries, what’s the difference between Bavarian creme and Boston creme? I bought a dozen filled doughnuts of each, and some of the people who ate them asked me this.

This is just a guess, but I’ve noticed at Dunkin’ Donuts, the Boston Creme had chocolate frosting all across one side, and the donuts lay flat in the tray, so as not to mess up the chocolate. The Bavarian Creme donuts seemed to come in other forms and sat upright, all squeezed in together. By “other forms,” I mean glazed or chocolate yeast etc, just not chocolate caked on one side. Could it be the combination of the creme and the chocilate that makes it Boston??

Looks like the Bavarian has cream cheese and light cream and the Boston creme has mil, and heavy cream.

From http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,171,159177-225205,00.html

BAVARIAN CREME

And from

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_25249,00.html

Boston Creme Cupcakes Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee
Show: Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee
Episode: Cookies, Cakes and Cupcakes

Ignatz, please do not post copyrighted material. Include a summary and a link to the original, but avoid copying-and-pasting the actual text. I’ve removed all but a portion of your post (the links I left up).

I think “Boston Cream” is from Boston Cream Pie, and thus is a reference to the chocolate on top and the name of the whole donut creation rather than a proper name for the cream inside. The cream is probably just a custard. Although, for all I know, the cream inside a Boston Cream donut may actually be Bavarian cream, as Bavarian cream is the actual proper name of the filling in the Bavarian Cream donuts.

Thanks for the answers.

When I worked at Dunkin Donuts (and dated the baker), I did quite a large amount of donut finishing.

The Boston and Bavarian cream have the exact same filling. They are both made from raised shells. The difference is that Boston cream is frosted on one side with chocolate frosting and the Bavarian cream is coated with powdered sugar on all sides. The Bavarian cream also has a little dollop of white frosting-like cream covering the injection hole.

God, I loved finishing donuts.

Interesting, thanks.

The Bavarian Creme donuts went first. Funny moment when someone misunderstood the choices and asked, “What’s in Barbarian Creme?”

I love Bavarian creme, and I hate that they smear that horrible cheap waxy chocolate all over what would otherwise be delicious donuts.

That’s Boston Creme.

You should get a job making donuts. I used to double or triple fill the shells with the cream (which is actually called Bavarian Creme btw, regardless of what the resulting donut is called). I had them filled quite literally to bursting. Of course then I’d put that cheap waxy chocolate on them so you probably wouldn’t like them.

I actually like Bavarian cream but I can’t eat them. I have not figured out how to eat any powdered donut without inhaling the powder.

under American law, recipes cannot be copyrighted.

Not quite, I think. I believe lists of ingredients cannot be copyrighted, but expository descriptions and directions together with the ingredients can be.

Yep.
Plus, how the hell did shining genji even find this and resurrect a 7 year old thread?

Plus to be pedantic (right or wrong) on a point that has nothing to do the OP

shining genii earns 6 SD points.

How many point until suspension of license?

It’s Genji, with a j, not “genii”

See here

As for the topic - one of them has pastry cream, and one of them has a custardy cream. The Boston one is the custard, IIRC, or maybe it’s the other way around. Boston creme pie is made with a custard, I believe.