Meaning of Sweet Home Alabama Lyrics

So I don’t really know much of the context of the song, but I heard that it was written in response to “Southern Man,” and the lyrics apparently have some kind of political meaning - talking about the governor, and “watergate does not bother me, does your conscience bother you?”

What were the political meanings of the song they hope to convey? Did they support Richard Nixon, for example?

The governor is George Wallace. He was pretty famously pro-segregation.

I have always taken it to be some kind of twisted point about representative democracy. Maybe I don’t get it.

As for “Watergate does not bother me,” it’s pretty straight-forward.

It’s basically making an analogy between the corruption in the Watergate scandal (a Yankee thing) and institutionalized racism in the South. It’s all politics, right? He’s saying “Do you feel guilty about what happened at Watergate? No? Then how can you condemn all southern men for segregation?”

Neil Youngs ‘Alabama’, not his ‘Southern Man’. Wikipedia says it’s a response to both.

Wallace was the governor when Neil wrote those songs, Nixon was president.

Odd how Lynyrd Skynyrd would defend Alabamas racist and backwards practices (at the time), then stump for gun control in ‘Mr Saturday Night Special’.

Then again, didn’t they also do ‘Gimme Back my Bullets’?

Maybe they are just songs.

But isn’t Skynyrd making the same general fallacy when they assert, “A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow?” How can they presume to speak for all Southern men in this regard? Who is to say that there weren’t and aren’t Southern men who really do need Neil Young around anyhow?

Well yes, but these are people whose response to being criticised for racism is to point out that their sky is always blue … I don’t think we can expect a cogent defense from them.

They weren’t defending them:

Cite.

What I think they were saying was: don’t tar all Alabamians with the same brush. Not all Alabamians are to blame for Wallace’s racism, any more than all Americans were to blame for Watergate.

Years ago I heard an interview on the radio with one of the surviving members. He stated flat out that the female singers doing the “boo boo boo” were meant to represent the rest of the country “booing” their governor. And the misinterpertation of that line lead to “Sweet Home Alabama” NOT being chosen as the new state song.

[Dana Carvey does Carson] I did not know that! [D/DCdC]

Cool! Makes me feel better about enjoying Skynyrd.

In Birmingham they most emphatically did not love the governor, George Wallace. He (and his machine - he ran the state even after he was out of office for decades) had a long running feud with Birmingham. For example, there was federal highway money (and state money, it goes without saying) that was supposed to be spent in Birmingham, but the cash was never released. One highway (I think it was 280, but it’s been a while and that could be very wrong) ended in midair. When Fob James was elected in the 80s, he finished all the highways around Birmingham that the Wallace machine had kept unfinished, and it made a huge difference in getting around (and to and from) the city.

I lived in Auburn, so I’m not up on all the details of the feud, but it was the background to a lot of state politics. (Birmingham is the biggest city in the state, and has a lot of money, relatively speaking.)

I’m pretty sure that the members of Skynrd passed on that whole “debate club” thing; making an analogy between a totally clandestine act and public policy put them on pretty shaky ground, too.

Mean hook, though.

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don’t need him around anyhow

Warren Zevon wrote a caustic little diddy in response to Sweet Home Alabama called Play it All Night Long:

• Grandpa pissed his pants again
    He don’t give a damn
    Brother Billy has both guns drawn
    He ain’t been right since Viet Nam

Daddy’s doing Sister Sally
Grandma’s dying of cancer now
The cattle all have brucellosis
We’ll get through somehow

“Sweet Home Alabama”
Play that dead band’s song
Turn those speakers up full blast
Play it all night long*

All of the analysis about Wallace vs Nixon misses a critical historical fact - in the 1968 election (the one that made Nixon president), Wallace himself ran as a third party candidate and Alabama was one of the few states that voted their electoral college votes for Wallace. So that whole bit about Watergate is not a complex argument about northern versus southern guilt for bad politicians, but a much simpler claim that Alabama didn’t vote Nixon into office so can’t be held responsible for the crimes/scandals he committed. I think the “we all did what we could do” is also a reference to that - Alabama did all it could to prevent Nixon from getting into office.
See 1968 United States presidential election - Wikipedia for the map of the electoral college results.

Well, for the record, if Wikipedia’s quotes are accurate, Spoke had it right: Van Zant said “Neil was shooting all the ducks in order to kill one or two”.
And “Wallace and I have very little in common,” Van Zant himself said, “I don’t like what he says about colored people.”

And I always agreed with the description in Wiki of the Watergate lines: that Van Zandt was saying "Hey, you can’t blame me for the racist ahole in the Governor’s office, unless you take blame for the corrupt ahole in the President’s office. "

Slight hijack. Nothing warms this cold warriors heart like hearing the Red Army Choir singing “Sweet Home Alabama” with the Leningrad Cowboys

I have been told that the bullets mentioned in “Gimme Back My Bullets” were record chart bullets. The writer was angry at his record company for not promoting the band to his satisfaction.

Just hearsay, mind you, and I don’t feel like googling it.

If you really want to get a discussion (re)started, take a stand on what key it’s in.

Yep one of the best, those zany Finns mixing it up with the ever so serious Russians… Just don’t mention the war:p

I used to think the “boos” in the background were saying “boo hoo hoo,” making fun of those criticizing the governor (as in they’re being crybabies or something like that).