What is the name of the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street?

When I was a kid, we called it the “parkin”. I don’t know if that was a regional name (Massachusetts) or a time-specific name (1940s), but I haven’t heard it in about 50 years until the other day I ran across the word, used in the sense I have mentioned, in a book written in the 1930s. But on the other hand, I haven’t heard any word used to refer to that strip of grass. What is it called today?

I read a list of terms for this in a college linguistics class, including “the devil’s highway”.

We always called it “the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street”.

Regards,
Shodan

Could it be “median”?

No, I always taken “median” to mean the grassy area in the middle of the road separating the lanes going one way from the lanes going the other way.

I’ve heard it called a “Nuisance Strip.”

I’ve heard it refered to as “the easement.” You were responsible for its mowing and upkeep, but the city could do with it what it wanted.

Where I came from it was called a terrace. According to Merriam-Webster that’s not strictly accurate but it’s close enough.

An easement is a general term for any area of a property which gives usage rights to an entity other than the property owner. It is not specific to the area between a sidewalk and the street; that area is also not necessarily an easement.

I’ve heard it referred to as a “berm”

http://alt-usage-english.org/excerpts/fxwhatdo.html

This is one of those items that does not have one single term in general use, but a host of regionalisms. Around here it is called the “tree lawn.”

Wikipedia gives a few other terms.

We call it the “boulevard”. The grassy strip between the lanes is a “median”.

This usage of “boulevard” is separate but related to “Boulevard” in the name of a street; but a Boulevard is supposed to be a fancy street that has medians and boulevards.

Around here, a “berm” is an artificial mound of earth, often long and narrow and used to hide an industrial site or serve as a noise barrier. We also speak of berming the rear wall of an earth-sheltered house: piling dirt up against it to protect it from the weather.

In my house we call it the “parkway,” but I have no idea why, or if that’s the right term for it.

I’ve heard it called the “gore,” for what that’s worth.

In Australia (at least in Melbourne anyway) it’s called a ‘nature strip’ and although the land is owned by the local municipal council/shire, you are responsible for mowing and keeping the land tidy. In many streets the council also plants trees and shrubs on the nature-strip and in that case, they are liable for the maintenance and pruning of the trees.

In Minnesota, it’s a “boulevard” – guess we’re close to Canada linguistically, not just geographically. :slight_smile:

In the lawn care industry it’s sometimes called “hell strip” because it can be more difficult to mow than the rest of the lawn.

No civil engineers here? I think it’s commonly referred to as a “planting strip” by planners and builders.

CMC fnord!

It’s the tree lawn. All the other words mean something different.

I don’t have one anymore. I ripped up the grass and put in lava rocks. Minimal maintenance. Looks better, too.

It’s my lava garden.