The pool store sells what?

The other day we were buying a patio umbrella, and our search took us to a couple of pool supply stores. They carried patio furniture and accessories, in addition to above-ground pools and whirlpool spas, and I believe they sell christmas trees in the winter. I commented that such a store would likely have a limited “busy season” and observed that such stores traditionally seemed to also carry pool (billiards) tables.

That struck me as a somewhat unusual pairing of products. Anyone have any idea why pool supply stores seem to also carry pool tables? I understand the desire to carry a non-seasonal product, but why this particular one? Could it possibly be something so silly as a desire to save on advertising for easily confused customers? (I believe fireplace accessories are another product frequently carried by pool supply stores.)

The big store for these products around here is Recreational Warehouse. They care all sorts of recreational products - pools and supplies, hot tubs and accessories, as well as pool tables, poker tables, bars and bar stools, and tanning beds.

They’re your one-stop shop for all your hedonistic desires.

I’ve seen stores like this and they usually consider themselves sellers of “family recreation” stuff. Big purchases, or toys, that the whole family can enjoy.
Swimming pools, pool tables, trampolines, hot tubs, foosball, air hockey, tanning beds, etc.

Well, duh! That way they only have to advertise under one category in the Yellow Pages. “Pool Supplies” will cover both types of equipment.

It seems a very common pairing. Also most pool places I know of do fencing. I think the number one reason is the number of people that might call or come in looking for pool table supplies at a swimming pool store or vice versa. If you have people asking why not give them what they want.

Another reason might be most people are more likely to buy a pool table when the weather is cold and the days are short. A store that sold swimming pools is going to be pretty dead if they just do that. In installing either you tend to need a similar labor force. Some big strong guys to more stuff around and do manual labor and a few technical people to set up equipment and fine tune things.

So they sell epees? :cool:

Stolen ones, that they’re fencing.

I believe the pool shop in Chester NJ sells Christmas stuff & other holiday stuff, too. I would think it’s because the demand for pool floats & chlorine is kinda low in mid-February in NW NJ - they gotta make the $$$ somehow.

VCNJ~

Well, one thing I’ve seen on more than one occasion was someone with a nice pool, and they have a --whadda ya call it?-- cabana? No, more like a pool house…or no, like a sort of combination changing room/indoor shower/game room beside the pool.

And in that game room/rec room/whatever, is a pool table. And a ping pong table. And, if you’re really lucky, a pinball machine.

So maybe it isn’t such a crazy notion?

I had no idea they could be made of spiced cake.

Yep, stolen epees, and Hamlet is killed with a Danish rapier.

The place around these parts that has that same business model is Watson’s (http://www.watsons.com/).

My opinion of stores like this is generally that it’s more about appearances rather than quality.

If someone was well heeled enough, they aren’t shopping for media or game room devices at a place like that.

I did report post #12. Forgot to note it.

Same, although the pool seemed intriguing.

:slight_smile: