Chuckle of the day: worst phishing attempt ever

Every once in awhile, I check my Spam filter to make sure that I haven’t caught anything worthwhile. I just had to open one e-mail because it had such a great subject line. I have c&p’d it for your reading pleasure.

Subject: Urgently! North Fork Bank customers pay attention

Good afternoon dear clients,
We are sorry to inform you that the number of cases of fraudulent use of our bank accounts has recently increased. That is why our bank changes the security system, which will provide our clients with maximum security of their accounts from the frauds. During this week we will e-mail you a special program, as well as the detailed instruction how to use it. With its help you will have an opportunity to make payments. No one will be able to transfer money from your account without this program. If you lose the program, you will have to pay $4,99 and we will send you the copy of it. To confirm the regist ration for this anti-fraud program visit this web-site and fill in the necessary forms:

[link deleted]

Yours sincerely,

Bank Administration

I’d supply the link, but I’m afraid some of you might feel obligated to go fill out the regis tration forms to request the anti-fraud program for $4,99 or you will lose the opportunity to make payments. And we’ll send you a copy of it.

Pretty! How many people do you think responded?

Wow! Only $4,99 to be protected from the frauds! Such a deal!

All it takes is one or two, for this to pay off for the phisher, though. :frowning:

You know, I’m half tempted to go fill out a regis tration form with some fake data just to imagine the guy’s delight at reeling someone in.

At least they didn’t actually misspell any common English words. Although the syntax is unmistakably reminiscent of some poor naïve Third World yutz in a cheap shiny suit in a crumbling cinder block office, typing gamely away at what is (sadly) probably his only chance in this lifetime of Getting Rich Quick.

Oh noes! Teh Frauds!

Don’t you know that there’s a requirement that phishers use bad grammar and spelling. This makes their attempts seem more authentic.

Funny, I’ve always pictured them in shorts and no shirt. I mean, part of the appeal of the internet is that you don’t have to don your cheap shiny suit to rip people off.

Oh, and FTR, there wasn’t even ONE stolen corporate logo on the e-mail. Nada. It’s sad how the Nigerian education system has failed its future
internet defrauders.

If I sign up for this, will they send me a Nigerian phone as a free gift?

When I read the OP I thought $4.99? Boy those folks must be pretty confident they are going to get a lot of answers to make any money.
I didn’t realise it was a comma until I saw freckafree’s post.
Still a little steep for me. Do you think they would take payments?

Fuck that. Where do I go to fill out a cathy lee tration form?

My guess is yes! Would you like the link so that you can ask them for yourself? Gosh, I hope it’s not a targeted campaign. I’d hate for you guys to miss out on this tremendous opportunity to prevent frauds.

:confused:

$4,99 is the same as $4.99. Some countries use commas as a decimal, some use full stops. (I would have thought Nigeria would follow the British usage, being a British colony and all, but I could be wrong.)

Hmmm, North Fork Bank? IF it had been a spork bank I may have fallen for it. That shows some deliberate thinking. Though they are hermaphroditic cutlery, there is nothing inherently wrong about that. I like to keep an open mind. Sporks protect you from being unable to finish your meal due to having the wrong utensil. Certainly, a missive from the North Spork Bank protecting me from fraud would spark my interest. Being in Georgia, however, The First Southern Spork Bank of Georgia would seem more familiar to the natives. I wonder how hard it would be to register The FSSoG in Nigeria?

I can’t tell you how many “eBay” and “PayPal” requests I’ve returned with the information for “Santos L. Halper” and a password of “fuckyou”

tdn, I had to read that twice. That was funny, well done.

Annie, are you also providing a street address of 123 Fake St. and a phone number of 202-456-1414? :slight_smile:

All your bank are belong to us.

Does anybody even hyphenate “web-site” these days? Same goes for “e-mail”.

Kuboydal:

At the risk of being too serious in a humor thread, North Fork Bank is a real bank, the name coming from the north fork of Long Island, NY, where the original banks that eventually merged into North Fork Bank Corporation were all located. If you look at this map of Long Island all the way to the east, you’ll understand the term “north fork.”