pennies over doorways?

A friend has just moved into a rental duplex and asked me about something she noticed there.
There are pennies attached to the overhead doorframes of the entry door, bedroom doors and bathroom door.
Can any of our dopers shed light on why the former tenent (or owner?) would do something like this? What does it mean?
Thanks, CedricR.

Probably the last tenant. It’s an old superstition that you will have good luck if you place a penny over each doorway when you move into a new home.

Time to go in the back yard and dig up St. Joseph.

Pennies, eh? Well, that explains Arnie’s apartment. Arnie is hearing impaired, and there are panties above all of his doorways. Maybe I’ll tell him about the pennies. Maybe I won’t.

When I sold my house, my realtor advised against substituting St. Joseph Aspirin for the statue. I had a feeling there was more to the story, but I changed the subject. Sometimes, sometimes, it’s best to go with your gut feeling.

Pennies over doorways? I misheard. I’d better take The Holmes down.

My grandparents ascribed to a similar superstition. 'Cept theirs required them to leave pennies on the windowsill. They “refreshed” the pennies each New Year’s Eve. They said it was supposed to bring good fortune into the house.

I often wondered if that superstition wasn’t started by an enterprising hobo… encourage the townsfolk to leave pennies on the windowsills so that when the hobo returns he’ll have an easy grab at some cash.

I had guessed that it had to do with luck. My personal belief is that if you have money in your POCKET you have good luck, but each to his own I suppose!
CedricR.

Pennies ensued!

Around here, every cabin has a lucky horseshoe over the doorway. Same idea I guess.

I keep pennies over my doors, because you can unlock mine that way. There’s a little slit in the center of the handle, and if you turn it it unlocks (or locks) the door. I keep them because my kids like to lock doors, and I don’t want to have to go looking for a coin or something every time I want to get in. I didn’t even know it was lucky.

Just another thought.

Heads up or tails up?

For the superstitious this is important.

The OP (that’s you) asked about pennies. Didn’t say nuthin about money.
Funny how things are almost always about really low-value stuff. Pennies, aspirins, Worn-out horse shoes etc.
Peace,
mangeorge

Is it that safe there where you live, that you can use bathroom door locks on the front door? Try that in my neighborhood and you wouldn’t even have a door when you get home. :wink:

They seem to have been put up without regard to heads or tails!
CedricR.

Probably because that would make REAL EASY to benefit from the “luck”?

CedricR. who doesn’t believe in luck but who does believe in keeping your ears, eyes and mind OPEN!