Hyper-sensitive Teeth

I have developed extremely sensitive teeth over the last few years (since I’ve been treated for periodontal disease). I had the scaling and planing done on 1/2 of my mouth Friday, and the hyper-sensitivity has gone Warp Speed. I get my teeth cleaned every 12 weeks, and this is the second deep cleaning I’ve had (not to mention the whole gum surgery thing). this is the worst it’s been. It is so extreme that it’s impairing my ability to eat!

So…I saw this new OraJel product that is swabbed on and de-sensitizes the teeth for up to a month. Anyone use it? Hear of it? Am I being suckered into a purchase that won’t deliver as advertised?

I have not used the product you mentioned, but have had this problem in the past with some teeth. Have you discussed this with your dentist? He might be able to prescribe something that will work - and at any rate he needs to know you are having this problem.

Sensedyne toothpaste worked for me, but I didn’t have an extreme case.

Good luck, my friend, I think toothaches are one of the tortures of the damned.

Yes, I have one particular tooth that is bothering me this time. He’s aware of the general sensitivity I’ve been having. I’m using the Crest version of Sensodyne, and it works much better, in my opinion, for the regular stuff. I’m dreading the second half of the deep cleaning…what if I get more of these evil sensitive teeth?

Occasionally, I am plagued with sensitive teeth. It’s temporary, lasting about a week and I don’t know what really brings it on.

I use the Sensodyne toothpaste. Sometimes I won’t brush with it, but just place a little on my fingertip and massage my gums with it. It works.

Another thing I do sometimes is to rinse my mouth with Alka-Seltzer. Just dissolve a couple tabs in a cup of water, rinse my mouth and then spit it out.

Hmmm…Alka-Seltzer. Never heard of it but it’s certainly worth a try. I’m also going to rub toothpaste on my tooth.

Your dentist can apply a desensitizing coating to the tooth (or teeth) that is/are giving you problems. I had it done and it did nothing for me. YMMV.

I’d try the OraJel. It may not work, but if so, the investment was not that much and you’re no worse off than you were before.

My hygienist also recommended rubbing Sensodyne (or equivalent) on my sensitive tooth, since brushing with the toothpaste was causing other problems.

Most people think Alka-Seltzer is just for excess acid. It’s not. It contains aspirin.

Once I had a severe headache and someone suggested Alka-Seltzer. I didn’t think it would do any good, being of the mindset that it was only for indigestion or heartburn. But, since nothing else was available, I took it, and it cured my headache faster than anything I had ever tried before.

Now, if I have a headache, Alka-Seltzer is what I use simply because it is FASTER than Tylenol, Bayer, or anything else i have tried in the past.

What I’m getting at is that it is a really good pain-killer.

Yes, and I really envy people who can take it. My husband loves it.

I’m allergic to asprin. And Motrin. And all non-steriodial anti-inflamatories.

Which leaves Tylenol. I have kissed my liver good-bye.

There’s a toothpaste that my dentist has recommended to me. I think it has extra fluoride in it. At any rate, it does help desensitize my teeth. I always have to ask for it at the pharmacy counter. DO ask your dentist if there’s a toothpaste that would work on you.

I’d look up the name, but I ran out a couple of weeks ago and threw out the empty. I have a dentist’s appointment tomorrow, and he mentioned that he wanted to discuss a new toothpaste for me.