Cover Songs Better Than The Original

MuhcMoreMusic recently aired an episode of “Listed” in which they listed the Top 20 Covers of all time. Most of the picks were reasonable - #1 was Whitney Houston’s “I Will Always Love You,” certainly one of the most famous covers ever - but they were missing a few important ones, such as Soft Cel’s “Tainted Love.”

Anyway, a song relatively low on the list stood out to me: Johnny Cash’s version of “Hurt.” IMHO, the Nine Inch Nails original came off to me as boring, whiny and teenageresque. Cash’s version, by comparison, is powerful and moving and, combined with its video, positively heartbreaking.

What examples can you come up with of covers that were better than the original?

Hey Joe and All Along the Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix.
Since You’ve Been Gone by Whitesnake
The Green Manalishi by Judas Priest
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer by George Thorogood
and just because a co-worker of mine is a huge Johnny Cash fan:
Ghost Riders by The Outlaws.

Any cover of a Bob Dylan song.

Damnit! I was just coming in here to say that.

ETA: I also liked Sid Vicious’s “My Way” more than Sinatra’s.

"Come Together" by Aerosmith kicks Beatle ass.

And I like Nazareth’s wailing version of “Love Hurts” better than the earlier, neatly-arranged versions by the Everly Brothers and Roy Orbison.

And some may call it heresy, but I like 10,000 Maniacs’ version of “Because the Night” better than Patti Smith’s.

I really really like the Lemonheads’ version of Mrs. Robinson a lot. I’ve heard that Paul Simon hates it, which disappoints me.

I also like Social Distortion’s version of Ring of Fire.

I like Sparklehorse’s “Wish You Were Here,” with Thom Yorke on vocals, better than the Pink Floyd original. I admit oversaturation with the PF version could be a factor.

I like Manfred Mann’s Earth Band’s Blinded by the Light far better than Bruce Springsteen’s.

I prefer the Boys Town Gang version of Can’t Take My Eyes Off You over the original by Frankie Valli.

The Clash’s “I Fought the Law” has to be in any discussion along these lines.

This one’s a bit obscure, but Sun Kil Moon’s version of Modest Mouse’s “The Ocean Breathes Salty” is jaw-droppingly, amazingly good. On this page, you can listen to a preview sample or buy the DRM-free mp3 for $0.89.

Three Dog Night’s “Mama Told Me Not to Come” was better than Randy Newman’s original. Cyndi Lauper’s “When You Were Mine” is one of my favorite songs; Prince’s original version – not so much.

I was coming back in here to mention this one…forgot about it when I posted earlier.

So does the Dead Kennedy’s version, if you ask me.

Come to think of it, The Clash’s version of “Brand New Cadillac” kicks major ass too. I haven’t heard Vince Taylor’s 1958 original (thank you Google), but I’d be mightily shocked if it topped the one on London Calling.

Fiona Apple recently covered Elvis Costello’s “I Want You” for a VH1 special, w/ Costello on guitar.
I like the Costello original and all, but Fiona now owns this song as far as I’m concerned. I don’t doubt that Elvis feels the same way.

Video link here.

I get chills at about the 5 minute mark.

I really really like Tori Amos’ version of Smells Like Teen Spirit (the slower version, I’ve got two of them).

I also like the Joe Cocker version of come together.

“Baby It’s You” by Smith beats anybody’s version, hands down.
Not likely too many people here know it, but “You Beat Me To The Punch” by Charity Brown (a Canadian artist) manages to be better than Mary Wells’ record.
Dr. John’s rendition of “Iko Iko” is way better than the one by The Dixie Cups, even though it’s pretty good to start with.
“Ruby Baby” by Dion is all kinds of better than The Drifters’ version.
Barbra Streisand could have been famous just for her cover of “Since I Fell For You” if she never cut another record before or after it.
“I Ain’t Superstitious” by The Jeff Beck Group is a whole other animal than the Howlin’ Wolf original. They’re so different I don’t rightly know how to compare them. But for sheer in your face, Jeff playing it and Rod Stewart singing it win for this one.
“Promised Land” by Dave Edmunds tries so hard to sound like a Chuck Berry record that it leves the actual Chuck Berry record in the dust.
Speaking of whom, nobody ever has to cover “I Hear You Knocking” again, ‘cause Dave’s already shown us how it’s supposed to go.
Manfred Mann was an excellent interpreter of everybody elses’ songs. They do “Do Wah Diddy Diddy” an awful lot better than The Exciters.
“Who Do You Love” by Bo Diddley or Ronnie Hawkins or George Thorogood? I think Hawkins.

William Shatner, Joe Jackson, and Ben Folds’ cover of Pulp’s “Common People” blows away the original. It’s probably my favorite cover song of all time.
Agree on Soft Cell’s “Tainted Love” over Gloria Jones’ version.
“In My Life” might be my favorite Beatles song ever, but Johnny Cash’s cover actually can make me cry.
Whoever did “Blue Christmas” originally, Elvis did it better.

Seconded Cyndi Lauper’s version is the version.

I like Novelle Vague’s and Pete Yorn’s versions of “Ever Fallen in Love” better than the Buzzcocks’. Of Montreal’s cover isn’t as good, but I’m not a fan of theirs.

“The Hunter Gets Captured By The Game” much better by Massive Attack & Tracey Thorn than The Marvelettes.

I’m sure some people will disagree but Placebo’s cover of “Running Up That Hill” is better than Kate Bush’s original, and Toad The Wet Sprocket’s cover of “Hey Bulldog” better than the Beatles’.

Lastly, though it’s totally tongue in cheek like Jill Sobule’s “Hot In Herre” and Nina Gordon’s “Straight Outta Compton” covers, Rock Plaza Central’s version of “Sexyback” is much more compelling than Justin Timberlake’s.

The Eagles covered Steve Young’s Seven Bridges Road and added the bluegrass-style harmonies that everyone assumes were there all along.

Also, re: the Jimi covers of Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower, any cover of that song that is clearly a cover of Jimi’s version (Dave Matthews, U2, etc.) is no longer a cover, but rather a “duvet”: a cover of a cover. :smiley: