Certified vs. Registered Mail

What’s the difference between “certified” mail (in the U.S.) and “registered”?

Registered mail is for sending things of value, vs. sending a letter or document that you have to ensure gets to the proper person.

From the U.S. Postal Service:

Registered Mail is Serious. You can mail cash or rare stamps or diamonds and be confident the envelope won’t just disappear.

OTOH, it’s also slow. So people sometimes just use some extremely fast overnight service instead, like FedEx First Overnight. Those are also heavily tracked and in transit for such a short time that it’s unlikely they’ll get stolen.

Edit: Also, the insurance on Registered Mail is actually very cheap, due to the high security. It’s about $1 per $1000 value. Other mail is about $1 per $100.

Not quite true SmackFu and I’ll give you a couple of examples.

I was for many years night manager at a Royal Mail sorting office and on 2 occasions one of the night sorters brought to me a couple of registered mail items that had been bundled up with the regular mail.

If those guys had been dishonest it would have been a “fairly” simple matter to just slip them into their pockets, take them out to their cars at break and bugger off home with them when their shift was over.

The loss would not have been discovered for 36 hours, perhaps less,
when the intended recipient reported that they hadn’t received it.

So, if it’s happened twice on my shift you can bet a pound to a pinch of shit it’s happened before on other shifts.

You’re talking about a different country’s mail service.

I’ve had registered mail disappear… twice. (And both times invovled Christmas gift stuff :mad: )

ETA: That was when I was still living in the U.S., so it would have been the USPS.