Prescription Refill Question

I just had one of my usual prescriptions filled. Although, instead of it saying the usual REFILL 3 TIMES UNTIL BLAH BLAH BLAH, it says 20.0 UNITS REMAIN TILL 06/09/2+.

What the hell does that mean? Never seen it before. I’m wondering if it’s an insurance thing since we just switched providers not too long ago.

My guess would be you only have a certain amount of the medication remaining, have you ever gotten the script filled for anything less then the full amount? Normally this happens if you get a refill for less then the amount you normally get for one reason or another. In this case, if it is a pill you take once daily, you probably got a 10 day supply somewhere along the way, so you only have 20 tablets remaining on the perscription.

Now, depending on the medication, your insurance company will probably charge you a full copay for only 20 tablets, so you might want to contact your doctor’s office and see about getting a new script called in.

Hmm, it sounds plausible. But I don’t think I’m behind by 20 pills. It’s a prescription I can take only if I need it, which is every so often, but it’s not a regimen thing. So I can’t imagine that being the case, since I only get the drug refilled when I run out.

I’m more curious than anything else, so a phone call to either my doctor or provider about this feels silly.

Well, your doctor is not the one to talk to about this. You should talk to your pharmacy if anything. Then should be able to tell you the fill history of the medication and let you know where the missing tablets came from.

Just curiosity, what did your last bottle say? Did it say you had 2 refills remaining, or did it say something like 1.6 refills?

Ahh. Mystery solved. You were half right Hirka!

It’s a 120 pill script, but they only filled up to 100. Didn’t notice that. The drug store must’ve been low.

This has happened to me, and it turned out that for a previous refill, the pharmacy didn’t have the full number of pills, so they owed me some. When my full refills ran out, the last label said that they still owed me x number of pills. So my next refill was only for that number, before I needed a new prescription.

Ah, knew it was something like that… Its possible your insurance company might only pay for 100 tablets in a 30 day period or something like that. I don’t know what pharmacy you go to, but at the one I work at, and the ones around here, we would give you a partial fill, normally a 3 day supply, until we get our next order and are able to fill the whole script.

But as I said though, depending on the medication, and how much it costs, your insurance company might charge you a full copay for only the 20 tablets.