Is expired or cancelled debt taxable income in the US?

Hey Everybody,

I was tossing and turning in bed last night at 3:00am unable to fall asleep when a question popped into my head – debts that expire due to statute of limitations (where applicable) or are settled or canceled by an agreement with the lender are technically some sort of financial gain for the debtor. Is this gain taxable income?

Say I borrow $5000 from Joe’s Bank. Now, I have $5000 extra but I also owe $5000 so my federal taxable income did not change – I didn’t make any money. Now, I decide to go live in the woods, dump the $5K into a savings account, and completely forget about Joe’s Bank. Now, a newbie clerk spills coke on the only computer at Joe’s Bank or whatever and for some reason they never follow up on collecting payments as per the loan agreement. Four years pass (California statute of limitations on debt) and Joe’s Bank still didn’t try to collect and I still didn’t try to pay (Hehe, sneaky me). The minute that statute of limitations expires, Joe’s Bank really loses any legal recourse against me other than pestering me with phone calls and ruining my credit.

So do I suddenly develop $5000 more taxable income for the year the statute of limitations expired? What if instead of statute of limitations expiring the debt was cancelled or settled for less based on a mutual agreement, is the partial amount taxable income? If this is NOT taxable income, what prevents employers from offering very loosely termed interest free “loans” as part of compensation packages that are in reality never meant to be paid back?

Thanks a bunch,

Groman

Canellation of indebtedness is generally considered to be income.

This same article actually answers my other question as well

EDIT: NEVERMIND this is wrong “Zarin v. Commisioner”:

but the cited reference "Zarin v. Commisioner" ([Summary here](http://www.timbertax.org/research/caselaw/cc/Z/zarin.htm)) seems to deal with something completely different (although I didn't finish reading it yet).

Shareholders…

I think it’d be a great deal for them. Instead of paying some CEO $500,000K on which they get taxed, loan the CEO $300,000K with no interest and a payment plan that starts in 99 years.

You’re going to run into applicable federal rate problems there:

http://www.nysscpa.org/cpajournal/2006/106/essentials/p28.htm

But the authors propose:

Yes, but in reality, almost never really is. If you are insolvent, then debt cancellation is not taxable. IRC@108.

From wiki "*Not all COD income must be included in gross income. There are four exceptions[6]:

* If the discharge of indebtedness occurs in a title 11 case
* If the discharge of indebtedness occurs when the taxpayer is insolvent
* If the indebtedness discharged is qualified farm indebtedness
* If the indebtedness discharged is qualified real property business indebtedness*"