Origin of "Not the face!"/"Don't hit the face!"

It’s a staple of dialog on "The Simpsons’, shouted out by Krusty or any other venal character who gets involved in a skuffle.

The first place I recall hearing it was about 20 minutes into ‘Rocky’ (1976), when Rocky is collecting a debt from a hapless dockworker named Bob*. Any earlier cites?

*Played, I believe, by obscure actor Jack Hollander. Imdb credits him in ‘Rocky’ as playing ‘Fats’, but I remember he also played a baseball fan who was about to get fleeced playing cards with the ballplayers in ‘Bang the Drum Slowly’.

I remember it from The Tick, but that is post Rocky.

Well, it predates Rocky by being used by Dom Deluise in Blazing Saddles but prior to that, I dunno.

“Not in the face! Not in the face!” is Arthur’s battle cry from The Tick, but certainly not the origin.

edit: beaten by Zebra with hamsters running interference… :frowning:

I remember it from a black and white Beverly Hillbillies episode, but I remember it from before that too, I think. I want to say an Andy Hardy film (you know the ones with Micky Rooney), but I am not sure.

There was also an episode of the old Superman series (in the 50s) where the villians were getting plastic surgery on their faces to rob banks and stuff looking like other people and the surgery was unstable and they would tell people “Don’t hit the face.”

Do you remember who said it, or anything more about the usage?

I think I remember it from some old vaudeville stuff.

It is also in Yankee Doodle Dandy which is from 1942.

One of those actor suitors of Elie May’s…Dash Rip Rock or one of those great names had been put up to courtin’ Elie by one of Mr. Drysdale’s plans. The intentions of the pseudo suitor was taken wrongly and because he had been promised a part or a screen test and he was being chased by Pa or Grannie, he kept shouting “Not in the face, not in the face!” as they attempted to do him bodily harm.

Yeah, that’s right when he was a kid and the other kids beat up on him outside the stage door.

I don’t suppose that was the Mickey Rooney I was thinking of.

I thought it was from *The Godfather *(the book), when Johnny Fantone (or whoever, the singer) is beating up his girlfriend, an actress, and she says “not in the face!” So he beats her on her body where the marks won’t show.

Then his godfather, Don Corleone, tells him he’s a pussy for not hitting her in the face. That now she wears the pants in the family.

I believe that you’re thinking of the scene in Yankee Doodle Dandy when the young George M Cohan had just cost his family the chance to move up to “the big time” and his father wanted to punish him. But when he started to hit George on the hand his mother stopped him.

“Not on the hand, he has to play the violin.”

His father then started to swat him on the face.

“Not on the mouth, he has to sing.”

Finally, his father put George over his knee and started swatting him on the ass. “Well, here’s one part that doresn’t have any talent!”

This did not happen in the movie.

Sure. But I do remember it vividly from the book. I read it when I was maybe 14 or something and the sheer raw, twisted emotion of the scene made a permanent impression on me. I found the passage online, I hope it’s not too much to quote here.

I’m not trying to make any particular point, I just think it’s an incredible passage.

I believe there may be a truly ancient source not for the actual quote, but the underlying concept.

ISTR in my reading of classical history (Herodotus, Thucydides, Tacitus, Plutarch, or some such) an incident in which an army is facing an opposing mounted force composed mostly of aristocratic young men. The first army is instructed to aim their pikes at the faces of the preppies, instead of their chests or their horses. Sure enough, when they realize their beautiful faces might be scarred, the vain young men retreat.

At least that’s how I remember the story. Perhaps someone with a better memory can provide the cite I’m thinking of.

Wow, I forgot about that passage. The weird part, is that was suppose to “kind of sort of” be the beautiful Ava Gardner.

I might need to reread the book again.

Jim

After a few minutes’ Googling (searching on “aimed at their faces”), I found my own cite: Plutarch’s Life of Caesar, section 45.

It was the Battle of Pharsalus, 48 B.C., Caesar vs. Pompey.

What’s the Latin for “Not in the face!”?

(Who says a classical liberal arts education is useless?)

(bunches of stuff cut) That may be the greatest cite I’ve read on the boards. Now I need to read the dang books to see what I missed! Thanks!

Goddamn, I love the SDMB…

The book is as good as the two movies. I have not read it in about 15 years. Like “To Kill a Mockingbird”, both the movies and the books are nearly perfect.