Cast your Favorite Sci-Fi Stories!

I’m a big fan of the Stainless Steel Rat stories by Harry Harrison, and I have always thought that Steve Martin would have been perfect as “Slippery Jim” DiGriz.
To me, Martin always had that sense of whimsy and self-confidence that DiGriz displayed when he pulled off his heists.
Who would you like to see in movies adapted your favorite science fiction stories?

I love Larry Niven’s stories about Gil “the Arm” Hamilton. I envision Adam Baldwin (Jayne Cobb from Serenity) as Gil.

I think Summer Glau would make a good Honor Harrington.

Nah, Summer’s too petite to play Honor. IMO, anyway. She does have the ‘Odd Looking/Beautiful’ thing going for her though.

This just occurred to me - Jude Law as Valentine Michael Smith. Whaddya think? Too old now?

AtomicDog, I find your idea of Steve Martin as Slippery Jim interesting, and I’d like to sign up for your newsletter.

Yeah she is a little short, but she’s got the moves. Maybe Grace Park or Eiiza Dushku? I guess I don’t pay a lot of attention to height on the screen. I also like that girl that played Kendra Shaw in BG:Razor for the part; Stephanie Jacobsen, I think it was.

It’s hard to come up with someone short enough to be Miles Vorkosigan, but I think they could use the sort of camera tricks they had in The Lord of the Rings there. I’ll have to think about that one. Maybe Mark Wahlberg?

Not only too old, he was never andro enough to play the initial part. Leo DiCaprio would have been perfect five years ago (strictly from a looks standpoint). Maybe Orlando Bloom?

It’s perhaps counter-intuitive, but I can see Will Smith as Jame Retief. He’s got the chops to carry it off and can do world-weariness-saddled-with-incompetent-bosses.

I’ve seen Peter Dinklage suggested for Miles. He’s a little too short, though, and while I like him, I’m not sure he could pull off Miles’ energy.

I would like to see him to play Tyrion in the TV adaptation of Song of Ice & Fire, if they ever do it.