So is Lynndie England gonna get a pardon?

Disgusting.

It’s nice that they blamed the retarded girl. It was all her idea.

Interesting that you posted this within a minute of me resurrecting the last Lyndie England thread, also about the White House acknowledgement of their involvement in planning torture.

No she won’t be pardoned. She’s not important enough.

I hope that she will be exonerated, because her name is known internationally, and thus she is important enough (in the scheme of things) to be publically excised of the crimes she supposedly committed.

If the US Defence Dept continue to hang upon her the guilt for these crimes, then they’re well and truly fucked, and all the world will know it!

Not retarded, just ugly.

There was no acknowledgment of torture. “Enhanced interrogation techniques” are not necessarily torture.

Waterboarding is torture by any definition anywhere in the world, except for what comes out of the White House. And waterboarding was discussed and approved during these meetings.

Is your next claim that if the President says it isn’t torture, it isn’t torture?

Do you have a cite that waterboarding is (not might be) torture under US law? The current Attorney General did not know if was torture when asked. John Yoo’s work shows that there is at a minimum a serious question as to whether waterboarding is torture and that when looked at carefully waterboarding probably is not torture under the law.

http://www.humanrightsfirst.org/us_law/etn/gonzales/memos_dir/memo_20020801_JD_%20Gonz_.pdf#search="bybee%20memo%20pdf"

Mr Bush will sign a long and legally dubious blanket pardon of anyone who ever did anything to anyone anywhere in an attempt to preclude war crimes trials that would soil his reputation. A side effect will be to short-circuit criminal investigations. As a result, it will be decades before we learn who did what to who.

"Those who cannot dismember the past are content to repeal it. "
-Pogo

Remember when we all laughed at Clinton for engaging in this sort of semantic sophistry?

US DOJ memo, December 2004:

Note that this memo contains a specific reference to the August 2002,\ memo you reference and states it has been “withdrawn” – it is no longer relevant to legal definitions of torture.

Even under the most expansive powers claimed by the Bush administration for the executive branch’s ability to subject prisoners to torture for national security reasons etc., when did President Bush ever tell Ms. England that she was allowed to torture? As a number of current soldiers on this board will testify, military indoctrination on this point is rather unambiguous about the type of abuse engaged in by Ms. England and others being unacceptable. I’ll conceed that her chain of command is also likely responsible for not clearly disallowing it in Iraq, but her actions are still her own.

In fact, I’d find it much more concerning in terms of setting up a military that’s receptive to torturing prisoners if the military failed to prosecute her. As always, shit rolls downhill, but she’s not an entirely innocent target.

Hopefully, with the incoming administration, these lines against torture will be redrawn and clarified.

That is because of all the bad press they got. The legal reasoning is still valid.

You asked for a cite, which I provided, written by the DOJ. Waterboarding, specifically, is listed among those behaviors that constitute torture. This memo also specifically withdraws its endorsement of the memo you’ve cited.

Besides that fact that Yoo’s reasoning has been disowned by his own organization, the DOJ Office of Professional Standards is also investigating the origin of Yoo’s memo. It is alleged by JD insiders that this memo was produced without adequate professional peer review and without reference to legal precedent. The investigation is not yet complete, but the office has decided there is sufficient evidence to launch an invetigation.

I’ll quote my post from the other thread:

So, do you have a cite from a court with the authority to actually sort out this issue or just the opinions of different organizations without the authority to decide this issue?

As far as I know no direct connection has been indicated between the administration’s approval of “enhanced interrogation techniques” referenced in the OP and what happened at Abu Ghraib.

Anyway, even if there were such a connection, what are the legalities here? Isn’t following an illegal order itself illegal?

-FrL-

Cite? Sure,

Fisher v. State, 110 So. 361, 362 (Miss. 1926)

For those who do not keep the proceedings of the Mississippi Supreme Court at hand at all times:

. . . [T]he hands of appellant were tied behind him, he was laid upon the floor upon his back, and, while some of the men stood upon his feet, Gilbert, a very heavy man, stood with one foot entirely upon appellant’s breast, and the other foot entirely upon his neck. While in that position what is described as the “water cure” was administered to him in an effort to extort a confession as to where the money was hidden which was supposed to have been taken from the dead man. The “water cure” appears to have consisted of pouring water from a dipper into the nose of appellant, so as to strangle him, thus causing pain and horror, for the purpose of forcing a confession. Under these barbarous circumstances the appellant readily confessed . . .

If waterboarding is bad enough to break everyone in less than a minute, doesn’t that suggest it’s torture? What the fuck is it if it isn’t torture. Reasoned debate?
If shocks to the nuts don’t break people in a minute, doesn’t it stand to reason that waterboarding is in fact, worse that shocks to the nuts?

Not to mention that we aren’t allowed to do mock executions. Is waterboarding less or more cruel than a mock execution?

Guys, I have a court ruling that waterboarding is torture. Does that not end the discussion? Is this not a legal finding?

Perhaps if you actually read my post #10 through to the end you will see that the DOJ memo was quoting a court decision that found waterboarding constituted torture.

Maybe not. But it does follow that if the President says it isn’t torture, it means that the White House isn’t acknowledging torture.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: