How long will Key Lime pie last?

My husband has been jonesin’ for some Key Lime pie. He’s got a good recipe (I’ve searched the Dope, and the basics–condensed milk, eggs, lime juice are all there). The issue is how long the pie will last in the fridge. Cook’s Illustrated has a note that the pie “may be made and refrigerated up to one day.” One day? No way this pie will be gone in a day.

So how long will the pie last? Is the problem just that the flavor will degrade over time? My husband’s more concerned that Cook’s Illustrated might be suggesting that something icky might grow, like bacteria, causing the pie to be dangerous rather than just less tasty.

So, do we have to worry about poisoning ourselves or can we safely eat Key Lime pie, say a week or two after baking?

I wouldn’t go for a week or two after baking, but I’d say it would last more than a day. Flavor degradation is going to be the problem, not bacteria, assuming you keep it refrigerated.

I’d say you’re good for 3-4 days in the fridge.

On another note, what world do you live in that pie lasts two weeks without being eaten?!?

Just going from common sense and instinct, I would say that key lime pie is probably one of the more bacteria resistant pies, with enough sugar and acidity to make it inhospitable to the bugs. I honestly don’t believe you would have any problems, if it is covered and refrigerated. I’m sure it would be fine up to one week later, but I probably wouldn’t eat it after two weeks for quality reasons entirely unrelated to safety.

Athena we live in a world where my husband has natural serving size instincts that keep him at about 150 lbs, and where I have insulin resistance and am allowed only a little pie. If it turns out my 3 and 6 year olds like citrus though, we may eat it up sooner. :wink:

I’m glad it’s just flavor issues. We could probably eat it in a week. devilsknew, the acid thing makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

I’d say the crust is going to get mushy. You also might get some separation. Why don’t you try freezing a few pieces and see how that works. If it freezes well, then next time, you can freeze half.

We frequently buy frozen Key Lime pie, and it tastes great. It’s even good eaten fairly frozey, so I don’t know why homemade frozen wouldn’t be good too!

I thought bacteria etc. like sugar. Not the case?

-FrL-

Sugar in enough concentration is a natural preservative.

Key Lime pie freezes quite brilliantly, at least the crust and filling. The whip cream, not so well, but not so bad that you wouldn’t eat it again later.

As an amusing side note, I bought a frozen mass-market key lime pie one night while I was having a serious sugar and fat craving. It was really, really, really bad, so I basically only at a slice out of it, and left it in the bottom of the fridge. About a month later, I came across it in the bottom of the fridge while I was gathering stuff to go in the garbage and it was completely unchanged in appearance. I didn’t taste it, since I had been icky in the first place, but I was astonished that something that pretended to be food could be so disturbingly unchanged after that long.

Ellen Cherry, I thought about freezing it too. Maybe we’ll give that a try.

jacquilynne–that’s very scary. You have wonder what they put in there.

That purchased frozen pie sounds like “an edible food-like substance” and as such could probably outlast the Pyramids.

I am often bemused by the “may be refrigerated for 24 hours” sort of thing. I guess if you’re a fanatic foodie you might notice a deterioration of taste or something, but the ordinary person wouldn’t. Lemon pie or lime pie won’t “spoil” with all that acid and sugar, as has been mentioned above and the true pie lovers in my house don’t mind that the crust might be a bit soggy. I have kept apple pies * on the counter* for several days, and they are just fine.

It’s like the term “leftover cake”. Who has “leftover cake”? The concept is beyond me, I make cakes with the intention that they will last for a couple of days’ school lunches.

When I make key lime pie - I have a similar problem that the owl used to have on the tootsie roll pop commercial…“How long will it last, the world may never know” instead of “How many licks…”

Lemon juice will keep the flavor from degrading and might actually enhance it.

Every time I read the thread time, I think to myself:

“Key Lime Pie will last until the end of time. Its recipe will live on in the hearts of all good people. it will never die.”

Sorry, had to get that off my chest.

I usually get a good 3-4 days out of it before it gets a bit mushy. We are totally in love with Key lime pie and ate our way through the Keys on it!

I also recommend a black bottom key lime pie. Melt a bit of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips in the microwave, and pour into the bottom of the graham cracker crust (up to the edges). Freeze for a little bit and then pour your key lime pie mixture in!

Key lime + raspberries, or key lime + mandarin orange in the mixture tastes yummy too.

In my hands a good key lime pie would last 15 to 20 minutes. But it’s just about impossible to get a good key lime pie in this area.

Road trip!!

My husband claims to know how many licks it takes. But he won’t tell me.

That sounds awesome. I’ll pass it on.

jjimm, apparently you are familiar with jacquilynne’s pie.

“…the basics–condensed milk, eggs, lime juice are all there.” If you are using regular limes, you are not making key lime pie. Key lime pie must be made with key limes, a special variety of limes. I suspect that most of the “key lime pie” you find in restaruants is not real key lime pie. Which is a pity. (When I get to heaven they better be serving real key lime pie or I’m going to check out the other place.)

If only we could get real key limes here. My husband’s sister and my sister are in Florida, but I doubt we could get them to pack some up for us. We will have to settle for almost key lime pie.

That’s between jacquilynne and myself, thank you very much.

I’m sure both of you and the pie will be very happy.