Are psychometric tests protected by copyright or patent?

Subject title seems straightforward enough. How are they protected? Is there a difference between those developed by universities using public funds and those developed by private companies? Also, are psychometric tests developed by private organizations validated in published material, or are they validated only internally?

It’s conceivable that such tests could be protected by either copyright or patent law. To know whether any particular test is, you’d have to start by identifying specific tests and looking them up.

Speaking very generally, an expressive work may be protected under copyright law if it is creative, original, and fixed in a tangible medium. An idea maybe protected under patent law if it is novel, useful, and non-obvious.

I believe that certain standardized tests are protected by copyright. And I’ve heard of medical or diagnostic procedures that are protected by patents.

There would be no legal difference between them. How such properties are administered by the owner might differ depending on the owner’s status as a non-profit educational institution or a for-profit enterprise. But that would be the choice of the owner.

To obtain a patent, you have to reveal the details of a technology to the public.

However, when it comes to medical issues, patents are not the only consideration. The Food and Drug Administration regulates medical treatments and procedures. I don’t know to what extent you would have to publicize the details of a test in order to obtain F.D.A. approval.

I’m thinking most specifically about cognition, such as intelligence testing, ADHD testing, autism testing, etc. And most psychometric tests are non-invasive, testing things like digit span, speed of word recognition and the like. Surely those would only require the approval of an institutional review board, and not the entire FDA?

There are aspects of a psychometric test that may be innovative. For instance, the implicit association test is a rather clever way of testing by flashing a word quickly and requiring a fast response, which would seem to me to be covered by the patent system. However, the stanford-binet and WAIS tests are worded very carefully, and that extremely careful wording and selection seems to me to be more applicable to protection by copyright.

Hmmm.

Still speaking theoretically, if a particular wording would be required in order for the test to work, and no other wording work work, or work as well, then the idea might be seen as having merged with the expression and the expression would no longer be protected as a creative work. The more it looks like a tool rather than expression, the more likely it’s going to be treated like patentable matter rather than copyrightable.

This excerpt from an opinion upholding a copyright in the MMPI addresses a lot of the issues involved in this kind of case.

• Applied Innovations, Inc. v. Regents of the University of Minnesota and National Computer Systems, Inc. *, 876 F.2d 626; 1989 U.S. App. LEXIS 7444; 11 U.S.P.Q.2D (BNA) 1041; Copy. L. Rep. (CCH) P26,428 (8th Cir. 1989)

is far too complicated for me to understand.

But in my experience, yes, many psychometric tests are subject to copyright protection.

You can find the contents, and use them if you want to, under fair use. But when you start using them professionally you have to pony up.

But what does it say about you if you don’t …?