bleach vs. germicidal bleach?

Got some Clorox at the store the other day and they had the regular ordinary bleach as well as “germicidal” bleach. What’s the difference? Doesn’t regular bleach kill germs? Or is this special version extra potent?

The MSDS for Chlorox Germicidal bleach says it’s 5.25% sodium hypochlorite:
http://www.biosci.ohio-state.edu/safety/MSDS/CLOROX%20GERMICIDAL%20BLEACH.htm

That is the same concentration of sodium hypochlorite as in the regular bleach I’ve been buying and diluting 1:10 to kill bacteria on glassware in a microbiology lab for the last 9 years.

Let me guess - the new and improved super germicidal bleach ™ costs more?

Bleach is already one of the best germicides available, and it already is more than concentrated enough for any household use. My guess is germicidal bleach is just marketing BS. The MSDSs from CLOROX indicate that all their bleach products have a 5-10% hypohalite concentration, which makes them germicidal.

Note: I didn’t check the pen, but everything else…

I didn’t make note of the price but I’ll be back there again tomorrow and I’ll check it out.

Clorox has a long history of advertising their products with a vaguely scary germophobic slant. This doesn’t surprise me at all. I bet, if anything, the “germicidal” bleach is pre-diulted to 10%, so they’re actually selling you LESS bleach and more water. They irritate me.

Bleach is, indeed a great bactericide it is less effective at killing viruses.

In our dialysis unit bleach was used as a daily cleaner, with Formalin once a week. When that policy was changed to daily Formalin, the incidence of hepatitis decreased in both patients and staff.

No, it’s not pre-diluted any further than regular bleach, as indicated by the MSDS. It’s the same thing as regular bleach.