What is the circumference of a newborn baby's head?

I am about to start knitting a cap for my nephew who is due around July 4. Before I start the hat - which is a pattern of my own design - I need to know the average circumference of a newborn’s head. Is it like 12 inches? I have no idea!

Thanks in advance!

More than 12, it looks like. Here’s site with growth charts.

http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=304

Browsing around on Google under knitting and crocheting patterns, I find sizes from 8-1/2" for preemies to 10-1/2" to 12" to 14". Depends on the size of the newborn. But 13" to 14" seems to be the majority consensus of “average”.

For example, from here.

Sweet! I knew I would get a quick, accurate answer here! From cher3’s link, I found this chart which is for newborn baby boys’ head circumference which at the 50th percentile is just over 14 inches. Awesome, now I can start my project. I will probably be safe and make it at least 15 inches to be sure it fits, and so he can wear it for the first month or two.

Thanks cher3 and DDG!

p.s. DDG - I love that hat pattern, I am bookmarking it for later.

My son (9 days old) was 6 lbs at birth and a 10" cap fits him perfectly if that helps at all.

That must be 10 inches, measured unstretched, right? Because the baby head circumference chart lists 12.5 inches at the very lowest percentile for boys at birth.

So, for example, with a knitted cap, it might be 10 inches unstretched, but can stretch quite a bit, like by 4-5 inches.

Yes, actually I just went up and measured the cap itself and it stretches to almost 14" as you say.

Awesome, thank you!!!

Judging from talking to my mother friends, about 3 times smaller than it felt like coming out.

Other people have given you links to charts, but I’ve had this one for several years now.

That link is perfect - it tells you the actual head circumference, the width to make the hat (a few inches less) and the height to make the hat. Just what I need, thank you so much!!! :smiley:

That damn hat is going to have to fit on a watermelon!!