What happened to the alternate ending to Big?

I’m in a very unusual position.

I saw the “alternate” ending to the movie Big. I distinctly remember the movie ending with a final scene that included the introduction of Susan as a young classmate of Josh.

I remember her being introduced, taking her seat, and Josh and her smiling and laughing, indicating that they would be together forever(and have a shared experience involving his “big” experiment).

My brother and parents remember it as well(I’ve checked). We had rented the VHS tape from a video store and this ending played.

Why has it not been found? I’ve checked the IMDB and Wikipedia, and they report it as an unconfirmed rumor.

Have any of you seen it? Is it available somewhere? What happend to it? Is there a “conspiracy” to hide it? :wink:

The wink indicates that I know there is no conspiracy. I really did see this scene.

It’s only an unconfirmed rumour because people’s memories of it are anecdotal, and can’t be used as a cite. Clearly there’s no official acknowledgement of its existence anywhere, and the only way to get it is to ask someone like Penny Marshall or Barry Sonnenfeld during a published interview.

There was a similar Disney family movie I saw years ago (15 at least) that had an ending like the one you described.
Could you maybe have seen this film as well and got the endings confused?

People still rent VHS tapes? :eek:

On a related note, what about the “lost” scene from Young Frankenstein?

It’s just before Gene Wilder goes onstage to present his Creation in the theater. his Dr. Frankenstein is talking with Marty Feldman’s Igor backstage. They’re both dressed in formal getups for the occasion, and Frankenstein notices that Igor is standing perfectly upright, with no deformity. “What happened to your hump?” he asks.

NEVER with a TUX!” replied Igor.
This scene has been described to me independently by several people (including Pepper Mill. I’ve never seen it. I hoped it would be included on the DVD among “Deleted Scenes”, but it’s not there, altrhough several other, nowhere near as funny scenes, are there.
I don’t buy GuanoLad’s assertion that such things are “unconfirmed rumors because people’s memories are anecdotal” . Memories are not completely untrustoworthy, or we wouldn’t use them as evidence in courts of law. And the fact that I’ve heard identical descriptions from multiple independent sources stromnglty suggests that this one is true. Moreover, there’s confirming evidence on the existing film – after the Monster goes haywire onstage, hits Frankenstein, and rushes into the crowd, Igor and Inga go over to attend the fallen Frankenstein, and you see quite clearly that Igor, for the only time in the extant film has no hump! This detail is unexplained in the film as we have it, but the missing scene gives a rationale for it.
Nevertheless, the scene isn’t even mentioned in the Internet Movie Data Base. Or at least it hasn’t been any of the times I’ve checked.

I saw the movie when it first came out and there was no such scene. It ended with Josh walking into his house and you hearing the mother’s reaction.

The scene as you describe would have been a real emotional cheat and I can’t see why it would have been even considered.

There are other people who assert that they’ve seen the ending Mahaloth describes:

That RealityChuck didn’t see that ending proves nothing. Different versions of films sometimes see limited release only i certain areas. I recall that the original release of the Ralph Bakshi version of Lord of the Rings in New York City had the final scenes in a different order than the genreral release version (which is the one I’ve seen in all later viewings, and which I presume is the one currently on DVD, although I haven’t seen that yet).
The “Alternate Versions” feature on iMDB lists many such limited-area changes to films.

By the way, the iMDB “alternate versions” page on Young Frankenstein may not list the “Never with a tux” scene, but does list another Lost Scene that’s not on the “deleted scenes” section of the DVD:

Again, there’s corroborating evidence in the form of the existing still.

BTW, here’s someone else who’s seen the “Never with a tux” line (#2923):

The Tux line may have been a trailer or commercial clip. I remember references to it.

I wasn’t suggesting memories are legally considered unreliable. I meant for citation purposes, especially for the rather anally retentive Wikipedia, you can’t use anecdotes as a reference.

I don’t buy this, either. Sometimes (frequently) all you have are memories. And although memories are certainly not perfectly reliable, the fact is that i rely on mine every day. You don’t discount them out of hand (which my point about their use in court), but you treat them with a certain degree of skepticism. Which is less than 100% skepticism. Certainly a ite you can check independently is best, but you can’t always get those.

We have always been at war with Oceana.

:confused:

What is this from or about?

A quote from Orwell’s 1984, suggesting that if people remember a time when Oceania were our allies, well it must be their memories at fault because the official record can’t possibly be wrong.

Here ya go.

That’s not the way I remember it.

But then, my wife claims that I loved that weird Japanese movie about the highway robber, so what do I know?

I just wanna know how you’re gonna explain that one to the Department of Youth & Family Services.

Well, I always thought I liked the remake with Paul Newman and William Shatner. But it turns out that documentary evidence proves that I really didn’t like it.

It would not have been shown in the theater (or most theaters), hence the term “alternate” ending.