Do commandos really not wear underwear?

The earliest reference to the phrase “going commando” I could find was a 1996 episode of Friends (See article). I don’t remember seeing that episode. Do commandos really not wear underwear? If not, why not?

On a similar idea, in days gone by, the Scots never used to wear anything under their kilts… so now you know… When the Scottish regiments were incorporated into the British army, this term became known as going ‘regimental’.
I don’t know if this is associated, but perhaps as these ‘Devils in skirts’ made pretty good commandos, the phrase became synonymous.

Speaking from personal experience:

One of the foot soldier’s greatest enemies in a warn environment is… well, I don’t know what it’s called in English, but it’s a general unpleasentness in the groin area. It’s actually a fungus, caused by heat, dampness and chaffing, and it’s very painful - untreated, it can put a soldier out of commission. The worst thing for it is wearing briefs (that’s just asking for it) and boxers, while slightly better, are just too warm. The only way to prevent and cure this thing is - and pardon my innuendo - to “air” your “package”, cool it off a bit, let it stay dry.

So why is is called “going commando”? Well, all land wars the U.S. has been involved in since adopting thr word “commando” for its Special Forces have been in hot environments - jungle or desert. Going without underwear is the pravcticle thing to do in these places. Perhaps the commandos were the first to think of it; perhaps it was considered an aspect of their “gung-ho” attitude.

According to the recent PBS special on Napoleon, troops in his day made a point of wearing clean underware into battle.

The scotts didn’t used to wear anything into battle. They would rush at their enemies naked and covered in bodypaint.

I’ll plead possible naivete here, but I thought that was the Picts, not the Celts, who did that? Or am I confusing my naked painted people?

jr “wode warrior”

My dad, ex-Green Beret (Commo expert, 5th Special Forces, '68-'72, 1 tour in Vietnam):

So there it is, from the horse’s mouth, so to speak.

Since this is a somewhat fragmented thread, I would add that the word commando seems to have originated around the time of the Boer War in South Africa. It had the meaning of military types who could be used for quick strikes into enemy territory.

The term, in the US, seems to be used starting around WWII to mean “military serviceman assigned to noncombat duty, esp. far from danger…used derisively.” Lighter. That is, it was used that way up until Viet-Nam.

Why it finally got back to its’ original usage at that late date, is a mystery.

I read a book about Navy Seals, in it
thhe author,(an ex-Seal),said that
they did not wear underwear.He said that it was easier to releive oneself
during combat without them.

Alessan, the American term is “jock itch”, but more severe cases are called “jungle rot”.

Leaving your athletic supporter off during a game is “free-balling”.

As an aside, it is still the case that nothing is worn under the kilt.

Once at a Jethro Tull concert, Ian Anderson was telling a joke at the expense of his drummer, Barriemore Barlow, who always wore a kilt.

"If you’re like me, you must have wondered just what Scotsmen wear under their kilts.

So one day I thought I’d bend down and look up there and find out for myself. And it . . .

Ugh! Gruesome!

Then I looked again . . .

AND IT GREW SOME MORE!!!"

Old joke alert! No, it’s all in perfect working order.