Would you sneak into a teenage girl's bedroom at 2AM if it was for The Greater Good?

Background:

One of our neighbours is a single mother with two kids living with her. The two kids are a girl aged six and a boy aged four. I have never spoken to the mother and barely seen her. (For clarity, we will call the mother Susie, the six-year old Jill, and the four-year-old Johnny - names changed to protect the innocent.) Jill and Johnny run around the neighbourhood in the evenings until it’s late, with Susie nowhere to be seen. One of our other neighbours further down the street (also a mother with two children - let’s call her Cindy) once called the police when Jill and John were still playing outside after dark and Susie was presumably somewhere inside the house. I thought Cindy should have just banged on Susie’s door but she wanted to make more of an impression and so called the police - Cindy said she was tired of feeling like she needed to keep an eye on Jill and John. This happened several months ago. BTW I also have two children aged five (almost six) and two and a half.

Last week-end a big U-Haul moving truck was outside Susie’s door all Sunday so I assumed that they were moving. Sunday night / Monday morning at 2:00 AM I hear a child crying in the street. (This is a Southern California housing tract where houses are within spitting distance of each other.) I look out our second-story bedroom window and see a car nearby with the inside light on so I figure someone came home late and the child woke up. But 10 minutes later I hear again some child screaming “Mommy! Mommy!” I can’t see anything through the window so I go out on the sidewalk to verify. I see Johnny on the sidewalk crying out for his Mommy. Then Jill comes out of the house and says that her mother left at midnight with the moving truck and isn’t back yet. At the same time a young couple from the house on the other side come out and we confer. The young couple (new to the neighbourhood - I had never met them yet) said that they thought they had seen an older girl around today. I start questioning Jill who answers a lot of questions with “I don’t know” but the short answer is that she doesn’t know where to reach her Mommy but her sister is in the house. Her sister is older but Jill doesn’t know the sister’s age. Is your sister a lot older then you? I don’t know. Is she in high school? 6th grade? I don’t know. I ask her if she can go get her sister and Jill wanders in and comes out after 30 seconds by herself. We are standing in front of Jill’s house, the front door is open, the lights are on so I can see in the hallway. I’ve never been in Jill’s house before. My first reaction is that Susie probably has a teenager staying with the kids and I should just barge in there and wake that lazy young girl up. The neighbours are saying we should call the police. I’m thinking that this is probably going to be a waste of a policeman’s time.

Q: What would you have done? Gone inside the house to check or call the police? Pros to calling the police: There is less of a chance that I will be eaten alive by a zombie hiding inside the neigbour’s house. Cons: Why should I need to call the police for every little thing that happens in the neighbourhood? I’m sure they have bigger fish to fry.

You can skip the rest since it’s not relevant to the question, but here’s how it ended.

I go to get my cellphone, confirm again with Jill that she doesn’t have a phone number for her mother, and call 911. Eventually a police car shows up while the neighbours, Jill, Johnny and I are standing in front of the house. (I tried to talk to Johnny but he doesn’t say a word - he stopped shouting for Mommy when the adults showed up.) The police officer tells Jill to go get her sister and tries to talk to Johnny but Johnny still doesn’t say a word. Jill again comes out by herself. The police officer goes in the house (I hear him shouting “Police! Anyone home?”) and after a couple of minutes comes out and waits. After another few minutes a 17-year-old girl wanders out.
Policeman: Who are you? How old are you?
17-year-old: Their sister. 17 years old.
Policeman: Why are Jill and Johnny wandering outside by themselves?
17-year-old: I don’t know.
Policeman: Where’s your Mom?
17-year-old: They’re with the moving truck at the new house in (next town.)
Policeman: Can you call her? (17-year-old has a cell phone in her hand.)
17-year-old: (looks at her phone) No, their phone is turned off. (How can she tell this just by looking at her phone? Those young 'uns sure do understand technology better than I.)
Policeman: What about your dad? Does he have a cell phone?
17-year-old: My dad or (indicating Jill and Johnny) their dad?
Policeman: Which one is with your mother right now?
17-year-old: Neither.
Policeman: Is there someone with your mother right now?
17-year-old: Yes.
Policeman: Who?
17-year-old: Her boyfriend.
Policeman: What’s his name?
17-year-old: Biff.
Policeman: His last name?
17-year-old: I don’t know.
( I am thinking of telling the policeman that this is starting to sound like a comedy routine but from his scowl I figure maybe now is not the time to point out the humour in the situation.)
I’ll skip the part where the 17-year-old knows her Mom’s name but doesn’t remember her Mom’s birthdate or exactly how old her Mom is.
Policeman: (not in a good mood) So tell me, can you think of a reason why I shouldn’t call Social Services right now seeing as how your brother and sister are wandering the street in the middle of the night?
17-year-old: (shrugs) I don’t know.
Policeman: (he’s red in the face by now) OK here’s what you’re going to do. You’re going to take your brother and sister into the house and you’re going to sleep in the same room with them and you’re going to lock the door so that they don’t wander out and you’re going to try to show that you care a little bit about your brother and sister and you’re going to have your mother call me tomorrow… (added indignation omitted for the sake of brevity)
Kids go back in and policeman is muttering “Unbelievable. Unbelievable.” He emphasizes with us (the neighbours and I) to be sure and call him if we hear anything else in the night but he didn’t want to have to send the kids to social services if he didn’t absolutely have to. I go home. Of course my wife has slept through the whole thing - and then she accuses me of being impossible to wake up!

The next day I saw the mother, boyfriend, Jill and Johnny leaving in her car. I was going to stop her to tell her (in case she didn’t know) that the police came by but there were gone before I had the chance to.

I think calling the police was probably the best thing. You don’t want to get into that kind of trouble and you don’t have the authority a police officer does.

No, I think I would have waited outside since you knew the children were safe and right in front of you, and I would have allowed the police to handle the rest (as you did).

I can understand your temptation, but I can envision an unpleasant lawsuit stemming from your entering the home.

Call the cops. You don’t get to go barging into another person’s house, or decide the greater good.

Asimovian has it. Besides, what if the girl thought you were an intruder intent on raping her and slotted you?

And you should email the police thanking the officer.

Yep, you did good, and exactly what I would have done. What a bunch of fuckwits.

(Not re the scenario, but just the *question *in the OP, I’d sneak into a teenage girl’s bedroom at 2AM if the next building over was on fire and I couldn’t wake her by shouting, but that’s about as clear cut a Greater Good as I can come up with to justify trespassing and scaring the bejeezus out of the girl - especially if I was a man. Even if she is a fuckwit.)

What could I possibly be sued for? I can’t think of anything. Granted, I’m not a lawyer. I understand that their are reasons for me not to go in there, but on the other hand the police officier didn’t do anything I couldn’t have done - get the sister/babysitter up and tell her the kids got out of the house. I wouldn’t really have burst into the room, but I could have entered the hallway and start shouting “Anybody home? It’s 2 AM - do you know where your kids are?”
What does “slotted you” mean?

Trespassing, obviously.

Your ethical duty was to ensure the immediate safety of the children, which you did by waiting and calling the police. You did the right thing. Entering the house was not necessary to accomplish that, and may have subjected you to danger - what if the girl had had a knife or a gun and thought you were an intruder?

I understand about the possibility of a trespassing charge, but I can’t believe that any court would find me liable considering the circumstances.
How many 17-year-olds actually have a knife or a gun in their bedroom? We live in the suburbs here. It’s another possibility but it seems awfully remote to me.

I suppose from a legal point of view it’s wise to call the police, but I think it’s a sad commentary on the state of modern society that it’s considered dangerous to walk into a neighbour’s house in these kinds of circumstances. I know that back home in Switzerland I would not have hesitated to go in and try to wake someone up from the entrance hall.

Not to mention that sneaking into her bedroom could get your charged with breaking and entering. You did exactly the right thing.

Caffeine.addict: the front door of the house was wide open. That wouldn’t be breaking and entering, would it? I’m not trying to be difficult here, just wondering about what the law would say.

Well, at my age I’m not sneaking, barging or waltzing into any teen-age girl’s bedroom without fire trucks, police cars and black helicopters already on the way. You done good, Arnold, and I commend your reluctance to call the police unless absolutely necessary. In this case, it was necessary … that’s what they’re trained for, and they’ll the be the first to tell you that. I like your inclination to handle it quietly as a neighbor who cares; fortunately, your better judgement prevailed. Good job.

Well, that’s a different scenario now. If the family in question was a good one, if their kids had not been neglected before, if, frankly, I liked them, I’d have no problem sticking my head in the open door and yelling my throat hoarse. If I’d ever been invited over for tea and been inside, I might even feel confident enough to walk inside as far as the bottom of the stairs or end of the hallway containing the bedrooms. I still wouldn’t go into a bedroom without invite, short of a physical danger that was unavoidable any other way.

But you had the immediate danger alleviated and, honestly, this wasn’t the first time. The police needed to be called, if for no other reason than to maintain a case file so IF something terrible happens next time, they’ve got a history of neglect to use as leverage to keep those kids safe.

The reason to call the police is that while he may not have done anything differently than you would, he is an authority entrusted with the public safety and you are the random guy next door.

I’d go in the house. I don’t give a shit.

I’ve never been in California and I know little of California law.

To me it looks like the entry is all that is required. While you know that you were going in to tell her that her siblings were outside, the cop might not know. Why take chances.

From here.

Why are you phrasing it as “sneaking” anyway?

Yeah, it would have been less sneaking, more pounding down the door, right?

This thread is way more boring than I had hoped.

No, I wouldn’t have gone in.

You did exactly right. You simply cannot go into a house to look for an unknown sleeping teenage girl, unless it’s on fire. And the family now has a history with the police, which may be a good thing later on.