Any word about people marooned on Galveston's island?

That’s the question. I haven’t heard anything about them and I’m worried about the kids of parents who were determined to ride Ike out.

There are are estimated 100,000 people south of Houston who ignored evacuation orders, including the Gulf Coast barrier islands. Its going to take a while to get some ide of what happened there. So far I’ve only seen individual survivor reports, not reports with a wider focus. Example:

edited to add quote

Thanks, paperbackwriter.

I was beginning to wonmder if my OP was a stupid question, because no one responded for a long time.

And I waited and waited for cable news to report on the situation, but they didn’t. And, as far as I know, still haven’t.

There have also been no reports (that I saw) of fatalities, which it seems overly optimistic to hope will remain the case.

Galveston County Daily News

parts of galveston are still flooded. some people were very lucky and made it through. many houses are destroyed.

cnn just showed a couple and their dog “trouble”. their one story house flooded 4 feet. they are not able to go further down the street due to flooding.

www.galvnews.com is the web site for galveston’s newspaper. there are many interesting articles and blogs about those who stayed during ike.