"Rudolph" T.V. Special

On the Island of Misfit Toys, in addition to Charlie-In-The-Box and a choo-choo train with square wheels (among others), there was a red-haired rag doll. What was her name and why was she a misfit?
Also, the (flying) Lion King was named King Moon something

Can anyone help here or do I need to impatiently await for some cable network to broadcast it?

Thanks.

I know that King Moonracer was the ruler of the Island of Misfit Toys, but have no idea what was supposed to be that pigtailed doll’s defect (other than that she was annoying).

Incidentally, most kid’s would probably LIKE a water pistol that squirts jelly!

Nobody seems to know about the doll. This page, which denotes characters’ script names in ALL CAPS, calls her the MISFIT GIRL DOLL and says that producer Arthur Rankin and script writer Romeo Muller both state that the doll’s problem is psychological rather than physical, but give no details. There is a link at the bottom of the cited page to a second page continuation.

IIRC, the doll’s problem was that she was always sad, and who wants to give their little girl a sad doll?

Of course, I’m the one that can never rememeber the name of the elf who wanted to be a dentist, so I’m probably wrong.

Ernie?

Herbie or Hermey? I think the former, but the IMDb lists the former in the plot and the latter in the cast list.

Don’t get me started. This one almost cost me a friendship. Every sane person knows the elf is Hermey. Listen to the show, it’s obvious.

Of course, this is the same friend that I got into a big argument over the implied race of the anthropomorphic syrup bottle in the Mrs. Butterworth ads. (Don’t ask)

Definitely Herbie.

Definitely Hermey. I have the DVD.

Not Ernie.
Not awake yet.
That’s what I get for typing before thinking.
Sorry.

We now return you to the Hermey/Herbie debates.

[sub]It’s Herbie on the closed captioning, but who’s gonna believe me.[/sub]

They said “Herbie” on MST3K. That’s good enough for me.

Mrs. Butterworth is supposed to be white. I think you’re confusing her with Aunt Jemima.

Same URL as my last post states that it’s HERMEY in the script.

The Brains have been known to get details wrong on occasion. They completely missed the fact that every exterior shot in “Space Mutiny” was Battlestar Galactica stock footage, which definitely deserved a riff. The script says the elf’s name is HERMEY, so that’s pretty much the authority.

WHOOSH!

thanks for the info, jayjay…while it doesn’t answer my question, it does put a definitive interpretation (by the creators) to it.
Psychological problems? This opens up a whole can of provocative worms (another misfit toy?). Is she clinically depressed (as alluded to by chique)? Bi-polar? Does she slut around (maybe that’s why the elephant is spotted)?

Hey! My FATHER’S name was Hymie!

Ya know, I hear that sound all the time…usually right after I post something. Wonder what it is?

:wink:

Oh, it was not. :slight_smile:

Elf’s name was Hermey (or possibly hermie), we had a three day bar argument about this one once.

oops.
I guess I should’ve posted this on the GD board.

:smiley:

My vote is Hermy (with an ‘m’, anyway).

Also, it’s been years since I’ve seen it, but didn’t the doll have a button eye that was hanging by a thread or something?