What's the best way to reheat leftover Chinese fried rice?

Whenever I have leftover fried rice that I’ve refrigerated, it always ends up being dried out and disgusting. However, the fried rice as this new Chinese delivery place is SO good and I don’t want it to go to waste.

So, is there any way to store and reheat Chinese fried rice so it’s not dried out? I welcome all suggestions!

I’ve been reheating a lot of rice lately, and I usually put a soaking wet paper towel on top of the plate/bowl. It’s never going to be the same, but it does the trick well enough. I know that we’re talking about fried rice, but I’d imagine that it translates pretty well. Good luck!

Heat up a frying pan, add a little oil. Scramble an egg and pour it over the fried rice. Mix it together then toss it in the frying pan. Heat & eat.

Are you just storing it in the cardboard box it comes in? Try a better sealed container. Also, maybe add a tablespoon of water before microwaving it, to replace water that evaporates while reheating.

Second this. It’s fried already - go ahead and fry it again!

Either the frying pan or microwave should do it, as long as you add a little (1 tablespoon or so, not much) water and cover it for enough time for the water to be absorbed. Repeat as necessary until desired texture is achieved.

Whilst you stored the leftover rice in the fridge, the restaurant may not have been quite so fastidious with its food hygiene. So you should heat rice to 70-75C for between 5 and 8 minutes to limit the possibility of B. cereus poisoning.

Do you have a steamer? 10 minutes or so should suffice.

I put just a smidge of water in it and put a plate over the bowl and nuke it.

I agree - cooked rice should be treated with the same care and concern as meat - i.e. chill soon after cooling, reheat until piping hot throughout.

Bacillus cereus can cause one of the more interesting forms of food poisoning - the toxins produced by the bacteria can act almost instantaneously - it’s not unheard of for victims to experience projectile vomiting after only a few forkfuls.

My old microbiology professor (director of the county PHLS labs as it was, and where I almost ended up working post-Uni) used to claim that B. cereus poisoning was under-reported because people mistook the puking it caused as being caused by their night’s drinking binge (curry and rice being the traditional post-Ale meal, for the non-Brits who might be wondering). Since taking his courses I’ve been ultra-suspicious of all take-away rice, and prefer to cook my own when I order a curry or chinese.

This is exactly what I was going to say.

I think it tastes better the second time around using this method.

Third! My wife did this one night, and I realized I had made the right decision. :slight_smile:

Oh, this sounds heavenly!

Moving thread from IMHO to Cafe Society.

Put the fried rice in a saucepan, and add enough chicken stock to make it move a bit, eg. around 3/4 as much chicken stock as rice. Boil it up; it revivifies the dried out rice.

For years, I had no microwave and I got in the habit of making anything leftover into soup.

I always order extra fried rice and store it in freezer bags. When I want to partake in my yummy goodness, I put the frozen bag of fried rice into a pot of water and bring it to a slow boil until heated. The rice is moist and delicious!