Sovietski Collection

The Sovietski Collection had some great stuff in the early-'90s. Soviet surplus stuff, Eastern Europe stuff, even some Western European militaria. Want a real cosmonaut space suit or MiG pilot’s helmet? They had 'em. It’s where I got my ‘Captain Ramius’ ushanka. They started carrying more Russian folk art, clothing, jewelry, etc. and changed their name to Siegler & Co and then Treasures From A Bygone Era. The non-military stuff didn’t interest me (although I wouldn’t have minded a samovar). In a web article, it was stated that they went under ‘before the holidays’. (The article is dated January 2007.)

Who’s selling Eastern Bloc/Cold War Western European surplus now?

I used to get that catalog as well, I am sorry they folded I was wondering why I no longer received it. I liked the Soviet Naval Flags and the officer coats and hats.

What’s a ‘Captain Ramius’ ushanka?

Here.

Or here.

I have the large Soviet Naval High Command flag from them. It’s awesome. A few other things too. I’m sorry that I didn’t get the tankers helmet when I had the chance.

I got the Soviet naval flag.

EDIT: In searching for the flag I found Collect Russia. I’ll have to check it out.

Mine is shown as “Minister of the Navy” on this site. About 10 items down. And I love that it’s big, about 6 feet across.

There’s a really great communist era junk shop in Sofia. I ALMOST got a copy of the Bulgarian Communist Party Handbook I found there, but I didn’t have enough cash on me at the time and forgot later. Still regret it.

The bazaar in Sarajevo is is full of Yugoslav and Tito tchotchkes.

So…I recommend former Communist countries.

I know that the Cheaper than Dirt catalogues I get often have stuff in them that are from former Soviet Bloc countries.

I got a number of pocket watches from Sovietski before they went under. A few other items as well. Loved their catalogs. Who else would list ejection seats from a Mig-29?

I’ve got an M-44 Mosin-Nagant Carbine rifle in 7.62x54R, monster of a kick, that gun has, quite loud too, I have to double-up hearing protection

It was pretty cheap too, $130 for the gun, and surplus ammo is available for $5-6 per 20 rounds

I’m in the office today, so I don’t have audio. I’ll have to watch it when I get home. But I don’t think that would be the sort of thing most places would stock in their mail-order catalogues! :wink:

WTF? ISn’t wearing the Hammer and Sickle the equivalent of wearing a swastika?

Friend of mine has one and she let me shoot it. Made my ears ring with doubled protection! Neat gun, but yes, one heck of a kick!

For whatever reason, no. Maybe it’s the glut of Soviet castoffs or somesuch, but there is a certain desire for some folks out there for Soviet stuff.

Personally, I have to admit, you’re comment has made me think about my own fixation with such things. Before this, if I had found a way to get a Soviet tunic (uniform top) that would fit, or an officers coat, I would have jumped at the chance.

I’ll still collect their weapons though. HEheh