Am I Imagining This Ceiling Train?

An early memory of mine is of a small, ceiling-tracked train children could ride in some sort of department store. The track was on the ceiling and the train hung below it. The train went around the toy section of this store, then into a smaller room with Christmas dioramas and decorations. I’m pretty sure the train was silver and looked streamlined.

I was raised outside of Portland, OR, but it is possible this store was somewhere else, but not too far away. It could have been a mall, but it seemed to me to be one single, large store.
From this same memory, the toy section of the store was stocked with a Star Wars AT-AT, so it must have been in the very early 1980’s. (If that helps.)

So, am I remembering a dream, or did this thing really exist?

Googling brings up mention (but only mention) of Lit Brothers department store in Philadelphia having a Silver Rocket train that hung from the ceiling. I don’t know if they had a store in Oregon, though, or if they were only a Philly concern.

I found it! I’m not insane!

It was at the downtown Portland Meier & Frank, in the “Santaland” toy department, but it was shut down in 2005. Pics here and here.

That is freakin’ COOL!

Wanamakers toy department (Phila, Pa) had a ‘monorail train’, too, that hung from the ceiling. I guess they were fairly popular back when department stores had gigantic toy departments.

The monorail is now on display (hanging from the ceiling) at the ''Please Touch Museum" across the street from The Ben Franklin Institute for anyone from the Philly area that is interested. (More Wanamakers toy store info: Nicholas Smith Trains in Broomall, PA has two of the orginal train displays).

This will give you an idea of the scale.

This was Wanamakers and is now Macys

An amazing department store building. Wanamaker's - Wikipedia

Cool!

It would appear from the size of the car and the shape of the windows, Wanamaker’s used the same Louden Supertrack model as Meier & Frank (which is also now a Macy’s).

Midtown Plaze in Rochester set up its monorail at Christmastime for decades.

Here’s a picture.

Kids could visit Santa and then take a ride.

That looks cool but I’ve always been claustrophobic so as a kid, I would have balked at taking that ride.

I knew the answer just from the title.

Wow, that is a blast from the past. They also had a clock with animatronic action also, but my googlefu sucks today.

I was bummed when I heard they closed down and turned the area into an office=(

Edited to add:

Ha wiki comes through - Midtown Plaza (Rochester, New York) - Wikipedia

Fixed link

They had one (I dimly remember riding in it) in the E.W. Edwards Dept. Store in downtown Syracuse, NY, in the '50’s. There was also a Woolworth’s. Right out of “A Christmas Story”.

The old Rich’s department store in downtown Atlanta used to have a ride called the Pink Pig. I remember riding in it when I was four years old.

Midtown Plaza closed? I didn’t know that.

the please touch museum is in its new home at memorial hall.

i remember the monorail. it was very nifty.

Midtown Plaza Closed! - major bummer. I remember riding the monorail, and watching the Clock of Nations.

I must be getting old.

Those screens across the windows in the first pictures in the thread remind me of the little caged in cars that used to take you around in the Coal Mine in the Museum of Science and Industry. I have very little doubt that my extreme claustrophobia can be traced to early rides in those devices. I shudder to think about taking that “cool” train. Eeeeww Don’t make me look again.

You are not imagining the train at M&F in downtown Portland…It was such a magical place back then…It was on the ceiling and it was big and went around the 3 ed floor where Santa was. And remember the Cinnamon Bear!!! About 5 years ago (before Macy’s took over) we went to M&F downtown. I was sneaking all around the upstairs offices because I wanted to find that place… I walked down some back stairs and opened a door…And there it was…It took my breathe away!!! The room was in disarray but the train was there on the ceiling… I seriously teared up… We lived in Gladstone, a small town next to Oregon City. It was the highlight of 'Christmas to go to Portland, to Meier & Frank…to see the windows…and then…sigh…Go ride the train and see Santa… Thanks for reminding me!!

I have posted further down on this page…about the TRAIN!!!