Best way to hang posters w/o nails.

Just had my common room painted and I want to hang some posters and prints but don’t want to pound nails into the wall if I can avoid it… Any good long-lasting products that can give me a nail-free hanging? Some posters have cardboard backing. Thanks.

Oh, I had an entirely different idea of what this thread was going to be about!

I like Command products for stuff like this. For posters that aren’t framed, there is a product that has velcro between two sticky sides that would work perfect. You stick one piece of velcro to the poster and one to the wall and then stick the two together. When you want to remove, just pull the velcro apart and release the sticky stuff. No wall holes and no marring of the finish either.

Me too.

Most craft stores will have a sticky putty-like compund (Fun Tack?) which sounds good for the posters. There are other things that have a plastic hook that adheres to the wall using a similar sort of putty-like goo. But beware the hooks with the sticky backing. they’ll rip the paint right off the wall when you remove them.

Second the 3M Command products. They have a tab that you pull, and it breaks the adhesive connection without damaging either the wall or the poster. Works great! I would think the velcro version might be too thick for a poster. I use Command Poster Strips, 12 to a package and they work perfectly.

Be careful with that stuff; as a teen, I covered my bedroom walls with heavy metal posters using a sticky putty - Blu-Tack, I think - hoping to save the walls of the rental house. The putty left oily stains on my posters and the walls; fortunately, the posters were magazine throwaways, but the walls had to be painted to cover the stains. I don’t know if different brands have different results, but I’d be unlikely to use a similar product.

Indeed. You crucify posters with nails; you hang them with rope. The moderators are really cracking down, I hear.

What happens if somebody on the board just chews them down a lot? Would a banning be sufficient?

This might be what you’re looking for.

I own a frame shop and am therefore obliged to counsel you that all posters will last much longer and look fantatic in custom frames…but then hanging really does require holes in the wall. I do understand that not every poster is one you want to spend $200 to frame

All that said, I use the 3M Command strips for things in my son’s room and am pleased withthe results. In order for the eventual removal to truly not damage your walls you MUST follow the directions.

And I have never encountered a brand of Wall-Tak/Fun-Tak/Poster stickum that did NOT leave oily marks.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I’ll go with the 3M command. I know I can’t avoid leaving a little damage and there are probably some things where I’ll have no choice but to nail them up.

As a compromise, use cheap frames from a discount store and hang with Command hooks. Even a cheap frame looks more polished than a bare poster, and it’s light enough to hang on the Command hook.