Other than Snopes...

…what other sites do you use for quick verification of facts? Also, do you find Snopes to be:

1. Very reliable

2. Usually reliable

3. Sometimes reliable

4. Usually unreliable

5. Very unreliable

Truth or Fiction.

I find both TorF and Snopes very reliable.

Snopes is generally reliable, but the whole “Lost Legends” part annoys me (mostly because I fell for several of them).

I find Snopes to be generally reliable. It’s a good place to look for email hoaxes and scams that people often send me…

Snopes seems to be pretty reliable, and is usually one of the places I look.

I used to go here: http://tafkac.org/ but it’s all archived now, no more updating. From the old alt.folklore.urban Usenet group.

I find that Snopes is generally quite reliable. I also use Hoax-Slayer, which is a little more willing to call a spade a spade.

I’m not sure how to verify the reliability of Snopes, but I use it pretty often. In additon to Hoax-Slayer, mentioned by BobLibDem, I also check The Museum of Hoaxes. Their focus is more on historical stuff, but there is some discussion of new stuff too.

I wonder if there’s anyone out there who rates the reliability of these sites.

Wow, I had not seen the Lost Legends page until you mentioned it. Why on earth would Snopes, a site devoted to debunking myths, purposely put up a number of articles it knows to be fake??! And it’s not like the stories are so over the top that no reasonable person could possibly believe them (except maybe the Mr Ed one- he was really a zebra but you couldn’t see his stripes on B&W TV). Is the possibility that southern states told students to truncate Pi to “3” really more absurd then them trying to teach creationism?

Great, now I’m going to have to check Snopes stories via another website. :frowning:

:smiley:

I like Snopes. For the most part, though, I tend to just ask/search here. I’ve been here long enough to have a very good idea of which posters post the right information and which ones make it up as they go along*.
*like me :wink:

I presume the point is to show you how easy it is to be taken in and to think about what you just read.

Snopes is fairly good, I admit. For a while their pop-up type ads had Malware, which is scary. And, sometimes their personal opinion goes into their “rating” but they pretty much get the facts straight.

Hoax-slayer is OK, and of course- the SDMB.