What Does Cocaine Smell Like?

Is the smell of cocaine analagous to something else that a non-user would find in daily life? If so, what?

According to this MSDS, it is odorless.

Crack, when smoked, smells like burning plastic.

Could there be some other compounds that are present in street-grade cocaine? Like, say, ether or something?

The only time I’ve ever seen cocaine in my life was during jury duty when a bag of cocaine was entered into evidence. Or at least the prosecution said it was cocaine and the defense didn’t contradict them. I didn’t open the bag and smell it.

:smiley:

“No, no, your honor, I was just smelling it! There’s a difference!”

It smells kind of stingy, and euphoric.

So I’m told.

cocaine definitely has a scent to it. Each person who procures it for distributuion adds something to it so they can make more money. I think that laundry detergent gets in to some of it.

i let a guy use my bathroom once, when i went in the bathroom after him, i smelled it. I can’t describe it, but i definitely know the smell.

After a college education spent snorting the stuff, I couldn’t really put my finger on what coke smells like, but to this day (to me) dollar bills smell like coke.

ETA: I’d kinda describe it as a clean/numb smell. I don’t know how to descibe it exactly, but I’d recognize it if I got a whif.

ETA2, I must’ve hit quote instead of edit, sorry.

Glad to hear that I’m not the only one here who is that law-abiding.

Last year, I knew that my ex had been doing coke in my bathroom. The smell was one of the things that gave it away. I smelt it from his nose when I kissed him.

It smells like malaria tablets, the ones where you take two every day and an extra two on the seventh day - sorry my memory is a bit hazy, it was two years ago the last time I took malaria tablets. I think it is Paludrine. Really really chemically, and to me, gag-inducing.

I made this link because a bunch of my friends, when we were about 17, used to fool around with drugs. Ecstasy and cocaine smell and taste similar to me. And both smell and taste like Paludrine. Hope that helps answer your question, HeyHomie.

(The other reason I knew my ex was doing it was because my bathroom is covered in hair from the two hairy boys I share a flat with, and all the hair had been cleared off a countertop. Hence he’s now ex, I don’t want drugs in my home.)

The thread is asking about an illegal substance, what were you expecting out of the replies? A couple hundred people saying they have no idea isn’t terribly helpful, is it?

Well, it is a local anaesthetic.

I think a lot of time it just smells like what it’s cut with. Sometimes this is baby powder, or baking soda, and other times is Ajax or some other detergent.

And I totally agree about the dollar bill… cocaine smells like money in more ways than one.

I know that smell too, but it’s not cocaine. It’s poop.

Cocaine has a scent?!

note to self: next time, smell some first

Yeah- some cuts/washes reek. Although I used to get some that smelled like bubble gum. Seriously.

But coke just smells like, well, coke. It’s hard to explain.

FWIW, I worked for a pharmaceutical company that manufactures injectible products, among them, cocaine. Our lab tests required a standard, which was somewhere in the 99.5% pure range. There was no odour detectable from a simple handwave over the bottle towards the nose (not a direct sniff), and dissolving cocaine in water did not produce a liquid with an odour (though that probably isn’t surprising).