Golden Caster Sugar substitute

I’ve tried googling, but not getting the definitive answer I seek, so I’ve come to the experts. I have a British recipe that calls for golden caster sugar. I know that caster sugar is superfine sugar, and I know I can put regular American granulated sugar through the food processor to get superfine sugar. And some sources say to substitute caster sugar for golden caster sugar and all will be well…but is there a flavor difference? I have Turbinado sugar…would I get better results processing that to superfine, or just stick with plain white sugar?

Golden caster sugar is to to standard caster sugar what brown (Demerara - what you call Turbinado) sugar is to standard granulated white sugar (ie. it’s caster sugar made from un(or less)refined cane sugar). However, I feel there’s less of a flavour difference between golden and standard caster sugar than between demerara and white sugar.

Whether you use one or the other in a recipe will effect flavour, but it’s a matter of personal taste IMO. As I’m sure you know, less refined sugars tend to have deeper flavours, while refined sugars tend to be just sweet. I’d just go ahead and use standard caster if you can’t get golden - whatever you’re making will undoubtedly still taste fantastic.

OB

Is caster sugar just finer than regular ground sugar but without the cornstarch of confectioners sugar? You might try putting raw sugar in the blender. I make bar fine sugar by putting granular sugar in the blender.

You might try fructose, which I buy at my local food co-op. It’s very fine and to me, tastes identical to sugar. I use it in all baking and my husband uses it in his ice tea.

If it’s just a superfine sugar (not confectioner’s fine) you need, you can get a superfine white sugar by C&H or Domino. It should be right by the regular sugars in the baking aisle.

Yes. It’s not powdery, but just small grains. The best substitute would be superfine sugar. Or as you suggest, you could whirl regular sugar in the blender a bit. Or if it’s just a cake or cookie recipe, use regular sugar. The difference between regular caster sugar and golden caster sugar is like the difference between white sugar and raw sugar (in other words, barely discernible once it’s mixed in a recipe). It is not at all like the difference between white sugar and brown sugar.

Just a point- Turbinado sugar (less refined cane sugar) is not the same as American brown sugar. Brown sugar is granulated sugar that has add varying amounts of molasses added to it.

Thanks for all the advice. I think, since I have this huge bag of the raw Turbinado-type sugar I got in Amish country, I’ll give that a shot through the food processor and see how it comes out. It’s for a Mocha-Hazelnut cake I’m planning to bake at the end of the month.