License Plate: Are the ZERO (0) and the OH (O) the same character?

I realize that they are treated as different characters, and states with fancy license plate fonts like Virginia might use two distinctly different characters: But around here in the northeast the two characters are identical in appearance. The only thing that clearly differentiates the two are their contextual placement on the license plate. For example, Massachusetts plates have established patterns such as 401-SOX (three numerals and three letters). In such an example, the second character would be the number zero, while the fifth character would be the letter “OH”. Simple, and self-evident.

But there are also personalized license plates. So, a person might intentionally try to confuse the DMV’s computer system by getting a personalized plate that reads EIGHT ZERO OH ZERO FIVE OH? To any police office trying to call in the tag number, it would look like…

But the officer would have no idea which 0 was a ZERO and which was an OH.

So, I’m wondering - does the DMV anticipate this problem, and they actually only have one such character in their computers? For example, perhaps their computers automatically equivocate the zero and the “O”, to avoid any such problems? I’ve actually seen a personalized license plate that read “000000”. If each character could be a zero or an “O”, then that’s 64 possible permutations. Even my initial example above could be four different combinations, had it been a personalized plate. So does the DMV take steps to avoid this confusion?

(Okay, so I drive a lot. My internal musings aren’t always earth-shatteringly profound.)

Around here, letter Os are more squared, while number 0s are more ovoid.

I think you’ll find that the agencies that issue license plates are aware of this, and have some sort of safeguards to avoid the problem. For example, Washington (state) has a rule that states “Because of similarity, the letters and numbers “1”, “I” or “0” (zero) and “O” are considered the same.” Louisiana has a rule that states “You may not substitute a number 1 for a letter I or a letter O for a zero on a personalized plate.” States don’t just automatically grant any request for personalized plate content - as you can imagine, there are any number of things they don’t want presented on an official state item. Requests are reviewed by people who will reject those that are problematic for any reason.

Many states, including Virginia and Ohio, don’t distinguish between O/0 and I/1 when issuing license plates.

Gary T - that’s the kind of information I was looking for. It seems that my theory was correct: State DsMV will only allow for one or the other, but not both. Perfectly simple, and makes sense. Nice to have confirmation though. Thanks all!

Im pretty sure Ive seen plates where the zero had a line through it, thus Im assuming they accept both zero and the letter o. Not sure what state it was.

The Wisconsin personalized plate form specifies that the letter “oh” and the digit “zero” are the same. This page has a link to the PDF form.

(I know this because I just got the registration for my shiny new plates in the mail! No plates yet, though. :frowning: )

Sorry, but for Virgnia, that’s dead wrong.

QED, that doesn’t prove anything. What is being said is that I’s and 1’s are interchangeable, as are 0’s and O’s. “MARINE 1”, “MAR1NE 1”, “MARINE I” and “MAR1NE I” are all the same license plate.

Look, I live here. They are different characters. I even checked the state DMV site and there is nothing to say fifferently.

As right as you may be, the only way to prove it is to establish that a pair of license plates exist where they are differentiated solely by the existence of a “1” in one and a “i” in the other, and same for “0” and “o”.

On the other hand, a statement such as was made by ascenray should be backed up by a citation to the state’s DMV rules for issuing personal plates.

I think he was claiming that while the characters appear differently on the plate, they are handled the same according to the state. So if someone registers MARINE 1, then MARINE I, MAR1NE 1, and MAR1NE I would be offlimits. That’s how I read his comment, anyway, not sure of the validity of the statement.

Ok, QED is right about Virgina…

According to here, “MARINE 1”, MAR1NE 1" and “MARINE I” are all taken, but “MAR1NE I” is available.

The O is slightly fatter than the 0. Also, there’s a special pattern for license plates.
Cars: 1ABC234
Trucks: 1A23456
Some Trucks: 12345A6
It’s actually pretty rare that one plate would have a 0 and the other an O in the same place with the other characters the same.

I’ve seen amatuer radio plates where the zero has a “/” through it (i know someone with both an oh and a zero in thier call) This is Minnesota
Brian

In Virginia the characters are clearly different but for record-keeping purposes they are considered the same. So if you have the plate

ZOMBIE

they will not issue another plate that looks like

Z0MB1E

On Missouri license plates, O, 0, I and 1 are all issued. Standard plates will not use I, O, or Q, but Missouri will allow these characters on a personalized plate. Ham radio plates do have a slash through the 0 if it is used.

Automated queries on a license plate through Missouri DOR (for example, by law enforcement) will automatically crosscheck O as 0 and I as 1.

On at national; level, license plates entered as stolen or associated with a stolen vehicle in the National Crime Information Center are treated much the same way: NCIC does not distinguish between O and 0 or I and 1. This prevents situations where substituting one character for the other during a query would result in a false negative response.

Ah, after three years, I am vindicated!

Also in Missouri and Illinois

Do you have an explanation for the data presented in post 13 of this thread?