Can Stove Top Stuffing Go Bad?

I was in the store and I saw they had Stove Top stuffing (Turkey ONLY) marked down to 25¢ a box. So I asked the clerk if there was any limit to it. She said “No, that’s from Thanksgiving, we’ve been trying to get rid of it before it goes bad.”

Now I looked at the box and it has an expiration date of Sept 2010 on it.

My question is can Stove Top stuffing go bad? Basically it’s stale bread and herbs already, to which you add, butter, and water.

Once opened, if you live in a humid climate, I can imagine mold growing on it.

Unopened in the store? I think it’s safe, beyond Sept 2010. Which isn’t neccessarily a good thing.

I’d imagine the quality could suffer if kept around too long but it’s dry and sealed. I can’t think of how it would go bad unless moisture got into it.

It goes bad on the accounting books if they overbought so much that they still have quantities left 6 months later.

Sliced roast turkey from the deli, canned turkey gravy, and a box of turkey STStuffing makes a better turkey dinner than you’re likely to get from a diner, and is better than trying to roast a whole turkey for a family of two.

Stove Top goes rancid after a while, though. I’ve never had it go moldy on me, but the herbs can and do deteriorate.

Does it ever go good?

^^ Now THAT’S a good question :smiley:

That actually sounds pretty dang good for a real quick weeknight dinner.
Maybe add some green beans or corn - YUM!
I now have another quick-fix trick up my sleeve :smiley:

Thanks!

It goes real good with roast duck.

Ow! Quit it!

Fine then. It goes well with roast duck.

Frikkin grammar nazis.

The herbs would lose their kick, but it would still be edible.

Presumably it goes ‘good’ for certain life-forms (bacteria), not necessarily us.

It’s sealed. If it was open I’d tell you to watch for moths. ICK. Nothing worse than opening up a box of oatmeal and seeing moths fly out of it, except maybe seeing the little larva inside.